Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I don’t know the gentleman’s name and I have no idea when this will go to Court, unless I am called upon.

Is there any way that I can find out when this is going to Court @Drago?

D

Deleted member 26715

Well all of that is a result in my mind even if it did take a stupidly long time, but now the important side how are you recovering any permanent injuries.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Bruising gone. Swelling is taking longer as the skin and soft tissue heals. Still painful when stretching or turning the leg at times. Swelling increases below the cuff of any sock, when spending a day stuck at a desk at work. Was going to go back to the GP last week, but they had a Dr off sick so no appointments other than urgent. The day after it was feeling a lot better so have left it for now.

I just think that there were 5 varying depth cuts from the chainrings and they simply need time to heal. Been respecting that, with minimal cycling, which really does hurt mentally.

Going to set the Turbo up on Zwift this week, to be able to get back up to speed here and there.

Appreciate you asking! :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
If he's been charged the OIC should be able to tell you the Court date.
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

I will give the PC time to put the paperwork in order and then email them in a few weeks time to see if they have a date. Aside from logging the charge for a court date, I don’t see this progressing before Christmas, so there’s absolutely no point in bothering the PC unduly.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If he's been charged the OIC should be able to tell you the Court date.

Trans: officer in charge.

As a general point, the further it gets into the court process, the less the officer will know as it's largely taken out of his hands so he can concentrate on front line police work.

I get the impression there is a disparity in your accounts, so it looks like it will be a trial.

That being the case, you will be called to give evidence, so the CPS/witness care team should ensure you know which date to turn up, and which building you need to turn up to.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Trans: officer in charge.

As a general point, the further it gets into the court process, the less the officer will know as it's largely taken out of his hands so he can concentrate on front line police work.

I get the impression there is a disparity in your accounts, so it looks like it will be a trial.

That being the case, you will be called to give evidence, so the CPS/witness care team should ensure you know which date to turn up, and which building you need to turn up to.
To be fair, the PC did advise that they wouldn’t be involved from here on, although they kindly said that I could email or call them if I was unsure if anything. I won’t be bothering them any further, aside from checking about the court date if I don’t hear anything.

The statements are radically different, so wouldn’t be surprised in having to attend court tbh.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We won't know yet what the other driver is going to be charged with.

From your original account, dangerous drving is a possibility which gives the option of it being sent to the crown court.

You shouldn't see that as a problem, but it may delay things by another few months.

Or the driver may be charged/offered careless driving, so it could all sort in one appearance at magistrates' court.

Were I the driver, I would snatch their hand off for careless - what he did doesn't look at all clever so from his point of view the less said about it, the better.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As he's not insured make sure they knock the cars owner off for "use, cause or permit". It'll make her think twice about letting the chump use the car. If she tries to cover her own arris by saying he took it without her knowledge/permission, then make sure the Feds knock him off for TWOC instead.

Now you've established he has no insurance get yourself onto this, pronto, and get your claim in.

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-uninsured-driver/

^^^ This x2

They can't have it both ways - one of them is guilty of an offence here.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

I will give the PC time to put the paperwork in order and then email them in a few weeks time to see if they have a date. Aside from logging the charge for a court date, I don’t see this progressing before Christmas, so there’s absolutely no point in bothering the PC unduly.
At least there's hope there.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
At least there's hope there.
Absolutely. Far more positive than I was during the early stages of this thread.

I am generally an optimistic person, but I really did have doubts over whether anything would get pursued.

Didn’t like to keep pushing for action, but the combination of the Police having an additional old number on file, along with not informing me that they had moved back to a Road Traffic incident (with the requisite 28 day delay to allow a response) meant that I had a very different opinion to what was actually happening behind the scenes.

I do wonder what might have been done had I not chased for updates, but my faith has been restored by the PC that eventually took ownership.

Even if the court decides otherwise, I can honestly say that the Police have done their bit.

Sadly, I don’t believe that the 101 service does them any justice tbh. I have had very little information or assistance during the past weeks. It’s obviously a measure which allows Police Officers to do “real Police work”, as people often say, but it is a very poor service due to the fact that they cannot tell you what’s on screen in front of them. A better way would surely to have an option Of a section where things that they are allowed to tell me are put. At least they would save additional calls for the basics.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Brief update on what’s happened since.

Lots of random delays that I won’t go into here. Not pointing blame at individuals, but at the lack of available resource.

The driver has yet to be spoken to. He was scheduled to give a statement Monday just gone, but it was put on hold as one of the witnesses came forward to give a statement.

PC said that this changes everything and they now believe that they can get a solid conviction based on my statement and that of the witness Dovetailing perfectly. They were surprised how detailed the witness statement was after 4 months. I declined to say it wouldn’t have been so surprising if this statement had been taken 4 months ago.

They are going to give the guy one chance to attend the station next week, otherwise he will be arrested.

Hopefully this will help with my insurance claim via Leigh Day, who have been amazing throughout, despite being hampered by the lack of urgency shown above.

Buck

Guru
Brief update on what’s happened since.

Lots of random delays that I won’t go into here. Not pointing blame at individuals, but at the lack of available resource.

The driver has yet to be spoken to. He was scheduled to give a statement Monday just gone, but it was put on hold as one of the witnesses came forward to give s statement.

PC said that this changes everything and they now believe that they can get a solid conviction based on my statement and that if the witness being so close. They were surprised how detailed the witness statement was after 4 months. I declined to say it wouldn’t have been so surprising if this statement had been taken 4 months ago.

They are going to give the guy one chance to attend a proper interview next week, otherwise he will be arrested.

Hopefully this will help with my insurance claim via Leigh Day, who have been amazing throughout, despite being hampered by the lack of urgency shown above.

Did they say why the witness had only just come forward?

Regardless, sounds positive. Hopefully this’ll work out well for you in the end.

Top Bottom