Hit and run story - Words almost fail me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
having hit a deer recently i can fully confirm at no time did i think I'd hit a cyclist... So why is this excuse tolerated in reverse?

Since when do deer wear hi-viz and have lights on? Shame on the prosectors for letting this scum bag get away with such blatant lying. He should have been charged and convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and driving whilst under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of an accident, attempting to pervert the course of justice by claiming he hit a deer. Scumbag. Makes me so mad as it could have been scum such as this scum that knocked me down and left me for dead, but sadly were never caught. Plod couldn't careless about catching the driver.

HB_Dude

here here.... he knew he was over the limit, but decided to drive regardless. Drink driving offences that lead to loss of life should be treated the same as murder.

Indeed!
And also carry a lifetime driving ban.

Really what this country needs is also a much simpler approach to the drink drive alcohol limit.......None, 0, Zip, Ziltch!!! And very heavy penalties.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Indeed!
And also carry a lifetime driving ban.

Really what this country needs is also a much simpler approach to the drink drive alcohol limit.......None, 0, Zip, Ziltch!!! And very heavy penalties.
I think one should be allowed to have a residual amount left in their system after a couple of beers the night before, which i guess is one of the reasons we don't have a zero limit. Does any country have a zero limit?

but i agree on the lifetime ban, and much heavier penalties.

HB_Dude

I think one should be allowed to have a residual amount left in their system after a couple of beers the night before, which i guess is one of the reasons we don't have a zero limit. Does any country have a zero limit?

Nepal, the Arab states... zero tolerance. ^_^

Would you use a shotgun the morning after a session?

Would you be so tolerant if a member of your family had been killed by a driver with excess blood alcohol levels?
If we had a zero tolerance approach it would make things much simpler, people would have to be responsible and not drive the following morning ...... the rest of europe requires drivers to carry breathalysers...perhaps the UK should embrace this.

compo

Veteran

Zero limits apply in Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia and Gambia. There may well be others. (Source: Wikipedia)

buggi

Bird Saviour

but if people knew it was zero limit and there was a chance of getting caught the day after, they wouldn't get bladdered and then that would go some way to helping the NHS too, bcoz of all the binge drinkers they have to deal with. I'm all for zero limit.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Nepal, the Arab states... zero tolerance. ^_^

Would you use a shotgun the morning after a session?

Would you be so tolerant if a member of your family had been killed by a driver with excess blood alcohol levels?
If we had a zero tolerance approach it would make things much simpler, people would have to be responsible and not drive the following morning ...... the rest of europe requires drivers to carry breathalysers...perhaps the UK should embrace this.

i wasn't talking about excess blood alcohol levels.

but if people knew it was zero limit and there was a chance of getting caught the day after, they wouldn't get bladdered and then that would go some way to helping the NHS too, bcoz of all the binge drinkers they have to deal with. I'm all for zero limit.

I said a 'couple' of beers, not getting bladdered.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I said a 'couple' of beers, not getting bladdered.
but if you only had a couple, you wouldn't have any alcohol left in your system the next morning.

HB_Dude

I work in the NHS, you should see what just two beers brings in to busy A&E/ Theatres..... never mind early mornings following a 'session' but still people have a very blasé attitude towards alcohol and driving cars.

As far as I'm concerned if you're going to drive a car you should have 0% blood alcohol level, personal breathalysers are readily available as is public transport if needed!

@ MontyVeda ...... Any alcohol has an effect on your body, it has been proven that even the legally allowed blood alcohol levels can have a huge effect on how we perceive and react to things, and this is variable from person to person.
So with such variable personal reactions to the effects of alcohol how can we have any set allowable limit other than zero?

Maybe random breath tests are a good start. In Australia they set up road blocks and breathalyse every single driver. It certainly makes you reluctant to drive away from a party even after only a couple of drinks if you are not sure how strong they were.

Oh, and zero alcohol for your first 2 or 3 years of a licence, so you don't have to make judgements when you are learning to drink and to drive.

(Australia has much higher road deaths than the uk, by several different measures, so I'm not saying it's perfect)

TeeQue

I'm not sure what the statistics are but I've been driving for ten years and I have never been breathalysed and judging by the amount of people I see driving home from the pub after four+ pints, they clearly haven't been either. You're right if there was a real chance of being stopped it would cut down the amount of drink driving hugely I'd imagine.

Top Bottom