Hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCh

Über Member
I had pretty much the same, I was slightly more bashed up perhaps, but 4 solid witnesses (including a lawyer), car reg, cctv up the road etc.

Police did nothing. I called them at the scene and they didn't attend. They eventually wrote to the registered keeper, who said they had lent the car to a visitor from Ireland, but didn't have their details. They then said they sold it, so couldn't say who the driver was. That was the end of the police involvement.

I ended up with a written off bike, broken helmet, smashed glasses, plenty of injuries that needed 6-9 months of physio (blasted shoulder injury in particular) and the driver got off scott free.
I thought it was 'an open and shut case guv', but the advice I had on here the day after was to have very low expectations of the police effort and it turned out to be right, unfortunately.

Good luck though, it actually sounds like with it being a company van that you might get some the right outcome, even if that is just a bit of money for your kit, or some physio if needed.

Tin Pot

Guru
They simply don't give a shoot that someone tried to kill you.

If he had killed you, they'd be mildly interested but unlikely to prosecute or convict.

OP
OP
GrahamS

GrahamS

Hope you are ok now! Hope I have more luck.

And I thought it was weird how the lady on 101 really emphasised how and when I should chase this up if I didn't hear anything.

classic33

Leg End Member
I had pretty much the same, I was slightly more bashed up perhaps, but 4 solid witnesses (including a lawyer), car reg, cctv up the road etc.

Police did nothing. I called them at the scene and they didn't attend. They eventually wrote to the registered keeper, who said they had lent the car to a visitor from Ireland, but didn't have their details. They then said they sold it, so couldn't say who the driver was. That was the end of the police involvement.

I ended up with a written off bike, broken helmet, smashed glasses, plenty of injuries that needed 6-9 months of physio (blasted shoulder injury in particular) and the driver got off scott free.
I thought it was 'an open and shut case guv', but the advice I had on here the day after was to have very low expectations of the police effort and it turned out to be right, unfortunately.

Good luck though, it actually sounds like with it being a company van that you might get some the right outcome, even if that is just a bit of money for your kit, or some physio if needed.

Did you ever get answers from the police?

AndyCh

Über Member
The answers I had from the police were the above about the car being lent out and then sold.

They had 4 witness names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses, but didn't take that further. One witness called the police the same evning to give her statement, but they never even put it together with my crash. There was cctv, but didn't look at that either.

Some months later they said they would be writing to the registered keeper again about requesting the actual name of the driver at the time, but this was over 2 years ago, so it may have gone dead now.

Given this is an offence punishable by imprisonment, it was pretty disappointing, and to be honest, I found it shocking. The lesson for me was that maybe that is just modern policing at a time of ever more limited resources and much bureaucracy.

OP
OP
GrahamS

GrahamS

Suppose I will just have to keep banging on at the fuzz, did you chase them much?

Bike back from shop so will be back in the saddle for 22 mile ride home.

£214.86 worth of parts, things I could put down to the crash are maybe the front mech which was cracked... and... uhh.. think that's it. I knew the headset and BB needed replacing.

classic33

Leg End Member
The answers I had from the police were the above about the car being lent out and then sold.

They had 4 witness names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses, but didn't take that further. One witness called the police the same evning to give her statement, but they never even put it together with my crash. There was cctv, but didn't look at that either.

Some months later they said they would be writing to the registered keeper again about requesting the actual name of the driver at the time, but this was over 2 years ago, so it may have gone dead now.

Given this is an offence punishable by imprisonment, it was pretty disappointing, and to be honest, I found it shocking. The lesson for me was that maybe that is just modern policing at a time of ever more limited resources and much bureaucracy.
Registered owner(female)refused to name the driver(male) at the time of collision, I went after her because of her actions.

Not yet, will chase up the police tomorrow

Several things here. The driver has committed an offence by not exchanging details with you. If he hasn't reported an accident involving an injury to a person to the police he has committed another offence. I believe you have 48 hrs grace in which to do so.
If you want to progress things with a claim, if you have his registration number you can use this site to trace it http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx
It costs about £4 iirc. Add it to the claim.

If you have witnesses, and its as clear cut as a classic left hook it should be pretty easy. I was offed and matey boy lied to me about his name and number, but the reg got him.

The police basically washed their hands of it, and really my only form of redress was through the insurance, and the hope that a monetary hit to him along with a possible black mark on his insurance for not reporting it to them might make the ******** think twice in the future before offing someone.

You should be put back into the position you were in before the incident, with no financial penalty to you. Claim for anything that you had to spend out on( bus fares, LBS fees etc)
I know human nature says "well it was an accident, he/she never meant it, why punish someone for a mistake" but when someone drives off like that, or fails to be honest, they should be held to account one way or the other.

hope it doesn't sting to much,
Steve

OP
OP
GrahamS

GrahamS

Cheers, will see what the police say tomorrow.

No worries cycling home today, physically, mentally and mechanically fine.

Just wallet and burning sense of injustice to sort out....

classic33

Leg End Member
Service worked out expensive, parts were over £200 - headset, BB, front mech, etc but nothing you could say for sure was crash damage. Had been meaning to take it in anyway.
Did you mention it had been in a crash when you took it in?

Top Bottom