Hit by a van - how to claim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben Shepherd

Hello,

I was hit by a van on my way to work last Wednesday. I was turning right at a mini-roundabout, he was coming the other way and he didn't see me - knocked me side-on into the middle of the road. I had to be taken off to hospital, where I had several stitches on my chin. (Luckily no broken bones!) I had several days off work and missed an important (work-related) trip overseas. The bike doesn't look a complete write-off, but it certainly needs some repair work. It wouldn't be hugely expensive to replace anyway - max £200.

My question is, how do I go about claiming for this? The driver has admitted responsibility. I have his details. The bike is covered on my home insurance, but presumably claiming on that will affect my premiums. Is there some way of claiming on his insurance? Or do I have to go through solicitors? I'm not particularly interested in claiming compensation for my injuries, but equally, if there's a 'going rate' for particular injuries, I'd rather not miss out. And then there's the question of compensating my employer for time off work and the cost of flights and hotels that were not refundable.

Thanks

Ben

machew

Veteran
Best bet is to speak to CTC on 844 736 8452 for advice

Paul_L

Über Member
report to police (if not already)
get a crime number
report to CTC as above and let them deal with it.

you shouldn't have to claim off your own insurance company, everything should be claimed through the 3rd party's insurance company.

Not sure how your company can recover their costs (your flights and time off work) but i'd pass on the third party's details onto your HR department and let them sort that bit out so that you can concentrate on the bike replacement or repair.

Glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

OP
OP
Ben Shepherd

Ben Shepherd

Thanks - that's helpful. I just rang the CTC and they were very helpful (even though I'm not a member). So that sounds like the way forward at the moment. Yes - the police were there and I've got a collision reference number. They came to see me in hospital and told me he'd probably have to go on a driver awareness course.

ianrauk - I was in hospital so my injuries are definitely logged.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The CTC or RJW won't deal with the case for you if the total claim amount is less than £1,000 (as they can't claim fees from the other side). They will advise you on what to do though.

Contact his insurance company, inform them there are damages to your bicycle due to the collision and that you are getting a quote for repair.

Go to your local bike shop and ask them for an insurance quote.

Send the quote to the insurance company.

Wait for them to reply.

OP
OP
Ben Shepherd

Ben Shepherd

If I claim for everything I've mentioned (bike - time off work - injuries - flights - conference registration), it will be over £1000. The bike is really the important thing to me, but I don't think I should 'under-claim'.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If I claim for everything I've mentioned (bike - time off work - injuries - flights - conference registration), it will be over £1000. The bike is really the important thing to me, but I don't think I should 'under-claim'.

CTC's solictors (Russell, Jones and Walker) will advise the amount of compensation.

Paul_L

Über Member
don't forget any damaged / torn clothing in your claim.

Judderz

If I remember rightly (from an accident a few years ago where I was scarred for life on my chin, it's so tiny you can't see it), the compensation for such an injury is usually greater than that of say a broken bone, cuts to body, bruises etc, as you are scarred for life in an area that is noticeable on a daily basis. As you have had stitches on your chin, I would say this comes into effect.

Top Bottom