Hit by a van!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rob3rt said:
Where are you cycling to and from (dont need to know your adress, just roughtly what area). Someone may be able to suggest a safer route.

If you're heading onto Chester street from the south there is a shared pedestrian / cycle crossing connecting up the two bits of Newcastle Street; which is safer.

However it's also a lot slower as that light takes forever to change!

400bhp

Guru
The two r'abouts off the Mancunian way are possibly two of the most dangerous bits of road for a cyclist in Manchester. Several reasons (amongst others) being poor visibility, different road elevations and fast entry and exit.

Try to avoid in future if you can. Perhaps use Rosamond St onto Oxford Road.

Glad you're OK:smile: People make mistakes.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
another good reason for a head cam in my mind (black box solution).

Glad you are ok.

I was about to say that i would suspect the driver was looking elswewhere and failed to notice you stop...after all he seemed considerate to you earlier.

but when you mentioned he legged it my opinion shifted dramatically.

Hope the bike (and you) hold up well in the coming rides.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The driver may have assumed that because you didn't stop and argue the case in the middle of the road, but moved away to the right, he was in the clear and didn't need to stop. Especially if there was no visible damage.

I'm not excusing him, just offering a possible explanation.

Glad you're OK - sounds like a shocker of a roundabout to have to use.

Uncle Phil said:
Glad you're OK - sounds like a shocker of a roundabout to have to use.

Definitely not the nicest! As a new cyclist I accidentally used either it or its neighbour one morning. There I was, peacefully following the cycle signs, when next thing I knew I was on this monster roudabout!

Now that was rather terrifying (there were also gravelly bits on the surface).

Knowing the area a bit better now, I think cyclists are expected to either turn left into Stretford Road or right onto the 'cycle lane' that's not visible on the map into MMU; rather than go straight on Cambridge Street...

rh100 said:
Anything which has an M and blue signage is to be treated as a motorway i.e. no bikes/peds etc. I'm not sure how the RAB would be treated though, but from the map it appears to be part of the M road.

That said, no excuse for a drive off, and I'm glad you are ok.

The RAB is not classified as part of the motorway.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Looking on Street View, there aren't any "End of Motorway" signs on the Off Ramps, nor are there any "Start of Motorway" signs anywhere. It all looks wrong to me.
But not as bad as this Off Ramp which would take you the wrong way up a One-Way street

Glad you're still with us.

Well, let's start at the beginning again!

Glad you're OK (cos I haven't said that yet - sorry!)

Hope the bike's also OK.

Now, I ended up cycling past that way this lunchtime (not through the roundabout; but ending up on Chester street where you were trying to turn right). Looking at it (with a critical eye!) that street is very close to the roundabout.

Given the speeds that people do around there I'd seriously consider another route. Not sure how painful it is to go straight across the road you were hit on (Cambridge) though, depends on traffic at that time of the morning (I'm currently doing a left turn there so am not held up much, trying to get out of the mess on Oxford Road - and avoid being a naughty cyclist cycling down the pavement when the cycle lane dies on Medlock Street!)

Where are you trying to end up in Manchester?

Your other option is of course to go down Oxford Road and turn left onto Chester street that way; but I noted this morning they're doing some work to the kerb there on the new, fancy, cycle lane only left turn - given last time it took them months to clear the barriers, it might be a while!

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Rob3rt said:
I see, I see what you mean now, I google earthed it, much clearer on google earth than map view!

Where are you cycling to and from (dont need to know your adress, just roughtly what area). Someone may be able to suggest a safer route.

I have three routes explained here but they all end up here as i'm heading for the MMU tower block! (in fact the picture of me on the first page of this thread is me crossing the road just a couple of meters from the turning - you can see the roundabout and no 'motorway or non-cyclist signs')

On my way home i looked carefully everywhere and it's definitely a normal roundabout (i.e. not a motorway one and there were no 'cycle dismount' signs - in fact i past another cyclist approaching it as i did)!

small fish said:
Glad you are all right - sounds like bad luck - slippery road and a dozy driver rather than anything you could have avoided.

I do that same route every day - you need to go fast, be confident and hold a strong primary as you leave the roundabout and as two lanes merge immediately into one look over both shoulders whilst signalling left to exit the roundabout then right to go down chester street - whilst braking at the same time... it's a technical challenge!!
(I've come close to rear ending a right turning car a couple of times after leaving the roundabout too quick!)

There is always the subway - or cut through the Uni and come down Oxford Road - But given the choice of Busses on Oxford Road, Junkies in the subway, or a roundabout thats usually OK - i tend to go round!

Yes, it's definitely technically challenging... I just guess the drive didn't expect me to stop, as the right turn is straight after the roundabout exit!

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

SavageHoutkop said:
Not sure how painful it is to go straight across the road you were hit on (Cambridge) though, depends on traffic at that time of the morning (I'm currently doing a left turn there so am not held up much, trying to get out of the mess on Oxford Road - and avoid being a naughty cyclist cycling down the pavement when the cycle lane dies on Medlock Street!)

Where are you trying to end up in Manchester?

I'm heading for the MMU tower block,

I could possibly turn left before i enter cambridge street and cross at the 'lights half way between the two roundabouts' if you know where i mean (cutting out the roundabout completely)... Then it'll be straight across here instead of a right! :cheers:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Easy, turn into Booth Street between Man Uni's Precinct and RNCM and either go to Oxford Road, or hop over the pavement into Higher Cambridge St, just before RNCM, and go round the back.

Tower block - All Saints or John Dalton's ? - Best doing Booth St, then go down Oxford Road rather than that roundabout.

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

fossyant said:
Tower block - All Saints or John Dalton's ? - Best doing Booth St, then go down Oxford Road rather than that roundabout.

John Dalton's

skudupnorth said:
Glad you are OK mate,don't let it put you off cycling which an accident like this can do.

I know... i was a bit un-nerved on the way home! But i'm sure the Manc-Blackpool on Sunday will get me back into my stride :blush:

Top Bottom