Hit by a vehicle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AustinSR

Regular
Hey all,

Austin here, figured id post my latest experience.

While training on a solo ride I was struck by a car. The car was parked on the right and the bike lane was just to the left of it. Enough room between the two to clear a vehicle door opening. Well, the driver pulled out from the parking lane and into the bike lane without checking his mirror. Hit my right side sending me into the traffic lane to be hit once more by a braking vehicle. No major injuries, just some bruises and road rash, a shredded kit and down a bike. Glad I have two. The driver who hit me first apologized and I must be a sucker because she was cute and I ended up buying us coffee. I still don't know how that happened. I'll blame it on shock .

classic33

Leg End Member
Get yourself checked over, then get the bike checked over. Unless you already know its a write-off. You'll still need a bike shop to confirm this though, for insurance purposes.

Thread in Commuting and Utility Cycling, Accident Advice, gives you the basics. It is UK law though, not US.
Thread added
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/accident-advice.151618/

OP
OP
AustinSR

AustinSR

Regular
Thanks Classic33, I will check into this. I got looked at today, nothing to be worried about. Doc just wants me to take it easy. No head Trauma thankfully. Though Doc did mention I am under weight lol.

Arrowfoot, I am lucky indeed. I am just glad the second vehicles driver was paying attention enough to notice me and start the braking process. Otherwise I dont think I would have survived that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wouldnt care if she was Miss World, never mind cute.

Is she going to pay to replace your kit?

Please tell me you didnt pay for the coffee.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Dude so glad you are OK..Period..

Now did you file a police report? Paperwork from the docs you can always get a copy.. I hope she can pay for a new bike and the new kit..

But it sounds to me that you don't really care about it.. (good on you..!) Nice to see there is no greedy people out there to get a quick buck out of an accident..

Like everyone else said you really lucky I was hit by a car almost 2 years ago and I am still recovering and will never be the same.. Not a day I go for a ride and I am concerned about getting hit again..

All the best..!!

MikeG

Guru
Hey all,

Austin here, figured id post my latest experience.

While training on a solo ride I was struck by a car. The car was parked on the right and the bike lane was just to the left of it. Enough room between the two to clear a vehicle door opening. Well, the driver pulled out from the parking lane and into the bike lane without checking his mirror. Hit my right side sending me into the traffic lane to be hit once more by a braking vehicle. No major injuries, just some bruises and road rash, a shredded kit and down a bike. Glad I have two. The driver who hit me first apologized and I must be a sucker because she was cute and I ended up buying us coffee. I still don't know how that happened. I'll blame it on shock .

You've got concussion! You're imagining stuff......:smile:

Just kidding. Hope you get a replacement bike out of this, and the bumps heal quickly.

OP
OP
AustinSR

AustinSR

Regular
Thanks guys!

I did not do a police report. I do enough of that as it is. There was no damage to either car, no real injuries, and my bike is easily replaceable.

MikeG, too funny lmao. Emotion typing will do that I suppose!

I think for now on I will stick to side roads and bike path's to get my mileage in. I certainly dont want to test my luck anymore..

Lets all stay safe and enjoy!

Top Bottom