Hit my target of 3000 miles this year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
My new year's resolution was to ride my bike 3000 miles, I thought it would take me all year to complete it. Way back in January I only did 200 miles in a month. slowly but surely I have increased my miles each month, in July I did 605 miles.

I have fell off twice, 1st was a clipless moment, and second time was when I got the back tyre stuck in the tram track, I've been knocked off once, by a lady driver who did not have a clue I was there(tunnel vision) And I gave up counting the near misses a long time ago.

It has opened my eyes cycling, learning not to ride in the gutter, taking extra care when approaching a roundabout, watching out for the left hook turn and door zones, and taking the road at pinch points
(yes motorists will try and squeeze through that 6 foot 6 inch gap while you are there as well:eek:

I am going to increase my target to 4000 miles, but take my time as I have kind of neglected some of the jobs around the house. like, I stripped the wallpaper off in the hall, stairs and landing 3 months ago, I've got the paint and paper but not had the time to do it, I need to tidy the shed so I can move my bike in there, apparently a bike does not belong in the dinning room so I've been told;)

VamP

Banned
My new year's resolution was to ride my bike 3000 miles, I thought it would take me all year to complete it. Way back in January I only did 200 miles in a month. slowly but surely I have increased my miles each month, in July I did 605 miles.

I have fell off twice, 1st was a clipless moment, and second time was when I got the back tyre stuck in the tram track, I've been knocked off once, by a lady driver who did not have a clue I was there(tunnel vision) And I gave up counting the near misses a long time ago.

It has opened my eyes cycling, learning not to ride in the gutter, taking extra care when approaching a roundabout, watching out for the left hook turn and door zones, and taking the road at pinch points
(yes motorists will try and squeeze through that 6 foot 6 inch gap while you are there as well:eek:

I am going to increase my target to 4000 miles, but take my time as I have kind of neglected some of the jobs around the house. like, I stripped the wallpaper off in the hall, stairs and landing 3 months ago, I've got the paint and paper but not had the time to do it, I need to tidy the shed so I can move my bike in there, apparently a bike does not belong in the dinning room so I've been told;)

Nonsense!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I need to tidy the shed so I can move my bike in there, apparently a bike does not belong in the dinning room so I've been told;)
Quite right! I keep mine in the study. Well done on the miles - why not 5000 for the year :thumbsup:

PhunkyPhil

Regular
Setting millage targets does help you rack them up asit give you motivation. I am going to have to adjust my anual target of 3000 road bike miles as I am about to hit it in the next week or so.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
July and the first week of August have been productive for me in terms of miles knocked out. In July i averaged 175 a week,and last week i did 150. I don't want it to become an obsession where i feel that if i haven't done as many miles as the previous week i'll feel that i've under achieved. Sometimes i just want to go for a gentle 10 mile run,but there'll be something inside me urging me to do at least 30 and to put my foot down. Then the enjoyment of cycling becomes the chore and obsession of cycling...is that good??:scratch:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Good work that man- that was the same target as I had, although you appear to have annihilated it, rather than my slowly crawling back to be on track!
surely by this reckoning it's got to be 5k next year?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Well done @paul04 ! 3000, exactly same target I set at the start of the year. It made mathematical sense after 2000 then 2500 in 2011 & 2012. I turned past this on June 13th and have now set 5000 miles as the goal although I know 6000 is achievable. My mind defaulted to the safe bet.....

You know already you will achieve 4000, up it to 4500...... Go on, you know you want to......

Nice one @paul04 :bravo:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well Done !!
I am well down on my target this year what with moving house so i have not had time for a club run for 6+ weeks and nearly 3 weeks off with trapped nerves in the neck that gave me constant tingling in the hands caused by knackered neck/back that i needed physio for .

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Well done.

Since getting my new racer this year, I have really upped my mileage. The most I had ever done is 6000 miles in last year. So far, I have done 4,500 miles, 236 rides, 323 hours in the saddle, and 102,000 feet of climbing this year.

Top Bottom