Hit on the head by a pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
So I was cycling up a hill, fairly slowly (I was on the Brompton and choose to grind up that hill rather than hammer it) when this man on the pavement slaps me on the top of the head! ;) (Or, more accurately, on the top of my helmet.) So I stopped and gave him a mouthful of abuse (my temper was not helped by the fact that I'd just had some child yell "BIKE!" at me out of the window of a passing car...)

Wish I'd said nothing, or, even better, come out with some suitable comment like "It is nice to see that you're such a hard man that you go around hitting women..."

OK, rant over, pain shared...

potsy

Rambler
Very strange,what was his reaction/excuse?

C

chillyuk

My mother was a Scot from Fife. I gave up at a very early age trying to work out Scottish reasoning.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sounds very strange. I trust you'd not done anything to upset him? I'd have done more than yelled abuse at him but then I really need to sort my anger issues! ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I had some yobs try to steal my bike from me once, they punched my helmet thinking that it might hurt me. Needless to say it didn't. One of them foolishly put there legs between my front wheel so i just lifted the handle bars up into his groin, pushed him out the way and rode away. LOL

dondare

Über Member
fimm said:
So I was cycling up a hill, fairly slowly (I was on the Brompton and choose to grind up that hill rather than hammer it) when this man on the pavement slaps me on the top of the head! :sad: (Or, more accurately, on the top of my helmet.) So I stopped and gave him a mouthful of abuse (my temper was not helped by the fact that I'd just had some child yell "BIKE!" at me out of the window of a passing car...)

Wish I'd said nothing, or, even better, come out with some suitable comment like "It is nice to see that you're such a hard man that you go around hitting women..."

OK, rant over, pain shared...

So, do you think that the helmet saved you from serious injury, or do you think that if you han't been wearing a helmet you might not have been hit at all?

(In case it happens again, a suitable comment would be "Ow! My helmet!")

Some strange sort of paranoia maybe? Some people can behave very oddly.

Many years ago we used to have a guy, a tramp or vagrant of some sort, often seen walking along the edge of the country roads down our way - even some of the busier ones. He seemed to take some exception to any passing vehicle - even those that gave him a decent amount of room. Used to lash out at them with a walking stick - or just a piece of wood - and make contact sometimes. I saw him at his game several times. But he never went for me (I used to give him a wide berth, though, if I saw him soon enough).

I later learnt that, sadly, he was killed - hit by a car. Probably he lashed out at one car too many. It wasn't the driver's fault. His death, and his strange career, got a write-up in the local paper.

Maybe your attacker was of a similar disposition?

brokenbetty

Über Member
Or it could just be because she's a girl, and a lot of men still assume any woman bimbling along minding her own business will have her day unequivocally improved by the unasked-for imposition of a random male stranger into whatever she is doing.

Cheer up luv, we're only having a laugh.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've had my ass slapped 3 times by blokes in passing cars. The last one I reported but the police said they couldn't do anything because the driver wouldn't admit who his passenger was. What happened to the driver being responsible for his passengers and ensuring he gives plenty of room for an overtake???

p!sses me off no end.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
buggi said:
i've had my ass slapped 3 times by blokes in passing cars. The last one I reported but the police said they couldn't do anything because the driver wouldn't admit who his passenger was.
What! So if a passenger shot somebody out of a car window, the driver could just say "Sorry, I'm not going to tell you who the gunman was"? Surely they wouldn't get away with that! :sad:

Top Bottom