Hit the wall yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well that is the first time I`ve ever felt that and it was horrible. First thing is I need to do more long rides and condition my body to get used to them and secondly I need to suss out food for a longer ride if not stopping at cafe`s etc. Tried a couple of gels and they did squat for me. Watched my heart rate drop on the bike and after looking at the traces on strava can see the point at which I felt like crap. So what do you folks eat on the bike ? I must say I was going hard so didn`t help myself and would probably have lasted the 60 odd miles nae bother if slowing it down a tad.

https://www.strava.com/activities/287196909

Last edited:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Malt loaf does it for me. Chop it up into bite sized pieces and pop a bit every so often. BTW easier to cut if you keep it in the freezer!

davdandy

Same as above.Up to 40 miles nothing,just take my bottle of juice.Over that i usualy take a flapjack or two.A bag of jelly babies helps too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Assume you ate properly before you went? Gels are for emergency not as a replacement for solids, you have teeth I assume ;) use them :biggrin: and build up to the distance and speed

For longer rides I use baby food, namely Ella's Kitchen. Comes in sealed tubes like Gels and is a bit bigger but a balanced meal in an easy to use package.

On a plus note they also work as an airbag in the event of a crash as I found out, other riders who came to assist thought I had ***t myself and were somewhat put out when I started eating the exploded contents of the lamb casserole with carrots form off my shorts :-)

Keith Oates

Janner
It's not only the length of the ride but also the intensity that leads to 'hitting the wall'. I usually start the day with a big bowl of porridge and then use Gatorade during the ride and back that up with a banana or three. On a really long ride I stop for some 'real food' as said by FF.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I think it was just piss poor preparation :smile: I did eat before hand both breakfast and lunch along with 1.5ltrs of liquids ( not beer ). Funnily enough it was about the 40 mile mark that I dropped of the cliff, so need to defo take something in the back pocket that will feed me if going solo and not stopping. Also maybe need to reign in my bravado instead of hitting the first 30 miles at 20mph + average. You can see where my plans unraveled lol . Normally a ride of this distance is done with other folk at a more sedate pace and includes a cafe stop.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I think it was just piss poor preparation :smile: I did eat before hand both breakfast and lunch along with 1.5ltrs of liquids ( not beer ). Funnily enough it was about the 40 mile mark that I dropped of the cliff, so need to defo take something in the back pocket that will feed me if going solo and not stopping. Also maybe need to reign in my bravado instead of hitting the first 30 miles at 20mph + average. You can see where my plans unraveled lol . Normally a ride of this distance is done with other folk at a more sedate pace and includes a cafe stop.
And that leads to Piss poor performance :smile:

davdandy

Dont worry about it,i`m sure most have been through this at one time.Myself included.Just learn from the experience and you will be fine.

uclown2002

Guru
If you had plenty of food and water before the ride, why do you think you didn't prepare properly? It seems you've simply set off too fast and been unable to maintain that pace; and that may have been the case even if you had taken more food on-board during the ride.

byegad

Legendary Member
I don't ride far or fast but under 4o miles nothing except water which I tend to get through at the rate of 400-500ml/10-15 miles, depending on conditions.

Top Bottom