Hit turning car while doing 30mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just got back from Blackburn A&E. I've been hit by a car which was waiting to turn right then for some reason the driver turned as i was about to pass him at 30mph. I hit his passenger side with some force, my carbon forks are shattered and my helmet's done for. Luckily there were witnesses,they picked me up and took me to a nearby taxi rank while the police and ambulance arrived. I have cuts to the knees, a dislocated finger and a few muscle strains. I've been cleaned up and given my first tetanus jab since 1972.
The driver was very apologetic,he gave me his details and we'll take it from there.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ouch! Glad you're well enough to post, though I'm thinking you'll be a bit sore for a while. Could have been worse, from your description of the incident. GWS.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ouch! Glad you're well enough to post, though I'm thinking you'll be a bit sore for a while. Could have been worse, from your description of the incident. GWS.

Thanks. I can honestly say i thought i was a gonner! He was sat there,i'm sure we made eye contact but maybe not. Anyway,to see a car turn in front of you from about 10 feet while you're flying down hill certainly poops you up! My favourite bike is pranged but i'm ok. Funnily enough i had a punishment pass about an hour earlier. Something inside said if you think that's bad you aint seen nothing yet. It was as if i knew it was going to happen.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3645016, member: 9609"]glad you're ok mate - 30 is a hell of a speed to come off at.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,i know it is, and i'm grateful to still be here! The last time i came off at that speed i was 17 and i ended up in hospital for four days. If i could post some bike damage pics i would do,but you'll have seen the sort before,forks completely snapped,bar tape ripped, shifters bent back and the helmet is cracked and has little dents in probably from the rough road surface. To think i was tempted to leave the helmet off and just wear a cap!

Oldbloke

Guru
Ouch....hope you're OK. Could have been a whole lot worse at 30 mph...

TVC

Ouch. Very similar scenario to my big collision, you really did get away with that one. You're gonna ache this morning.

The usual advice applies, get yourself a proper personal injury lawyer, keep a pain diary, and get reciepts for all expenses incurred.

U

User33236

Ouch! As someone recuperating from a similar incident (allbeit from the left) yesterday i feel for you!

GWS

Top Bottom