Hitler had one, but this guy had 3...and they were huge!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just finished reading the biography of General George Patton. What a guy! The hun held I'm in high regard, much as the allies did Rommel. His speech to the Third Army in 1944, made prior to the invasion of France, is something to behold.

Very much a product of his time, but in terms of strategic leadership and motivational skills the guy was I a class of his own.

classic33

Leg End Member
Slightly annoyed they wouldn't name a tank after him though.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
We can selectively quote opinion all night. Churchill' s opinion of Patton was quite favourable. Rommell himself also spoke highly of Pattons mobile warfare strategy. It's who you choose to believe over 75 years later.

It's interesting that the Hoover institute is itself oft criticised for a lack of academic independence and integrity, seeing as it did it's most successful years basking in the favour and influence of Ronald Reagan himself.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
George C. Scott was absolutely brilliant in the film about his life.

Patton made some great quotes:

Patton : "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Translator: The general would like to know if you will drink a toast with him.

Patton: Thank the general and tell him I have no desire to drink with him or any other Russian son of a bitch.

Translator: [Nervous] I can't tell him that!

Patton: Tell him, every word.

Translator: [In Russian] He says he will not drink with you or any Russian son of a bitch.

Russian general: [In Russian] Tell him he is a son of a bitch, too. Now!

Translator: [Very nervous] He says he thinks you are a son of a bitch, too.

Patton: [laughing] All right. All right, tell him I'll drink to that; one son of a bitch to another.

Patton: Now, there's one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now, when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you, "What did you do in the great World War II," you won't have to say, "Well... I shoveled shoot in Louisiana."

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What a load of macho bullshite.
:laugh: this is em in reality.

giphy.gif

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Throughout his life he lived with his mother.

Top Bottom