Hmm should I take the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
I cycled through Glasgow city centre last night around 5pm. What a journey. As you hit intersections, the bike would leap sideways. I did not enjoy it. I was glad to get to Queen St in one piece and stayed on the train all the way to Haymarket rather than do my usual ride in from Linlithgow. My wife also left her bike at work, getting the bus home.

On the way home last night shortly after every junction where I was blown sideways I had some idiot overtake me in their car with only inches to spare. "The weathers worse so I'll give cyclists less room"

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Last night's ride home was brilliant fun - cycling whilst leaning at an angle up the Edinburgh Park station access road, then I had the wind (mostly) behind me all the way home. Big puddles, assorted tree branches etc etc to contend with too.

Most impressive sight seeing the wind lift the water out of puddles and carry it off as you're approaching them.

I was a very happy Goo (even when I found that some joker had tightened up all the barrel adjusters on my gears during the day; first signs were that the chain seemed to be trying to skip off the rear cogs, then shortly afterwards I lost the chain off the front chainrings as I shifted up to the big ring. Then I noticed the cause. Cheeky swines !!)

Tynan

Veteran
'some joker had tightened up all the barrel adjusters on my gears'

surely not, who has the time or inclination to do something like that? something funny happened to the cable or the shifter or something surely?

QuickDraw

magnatom said:
Seriously though the weather last night was crazy in Glasgow. Very heavy rain, gale force winds etc. I would have been crazy to cycle home in that.

Are you calling me crazy? I survived cycling the whole length of Maryhill Road. I did get blown about but it just added to the challenge. It was tough though cos the wind was coming from all angles and could change direction in an instant. The cars gave me plenty of room though - maybe cos I was weaving about all over the road. ;)

It was a lot calmer this morning. Don't know what it'll be like at 5 but overnight they're talking about gusts up to 80mph.

Tynan said:
'some joker had tightened up all the barrel adjusters on my gears'

surely not, who has the time or inclination to do something like that? something funny happened to the cable or the shifter or something surely?

Happened to me at work last year.Someone disconnected the wires to my lights on my lighting system and I got all the way to Mile End before I realised my back light wasn't working luckily I had backups working on my bag.I was not amused and this is a depot of supposedly responsible people namely train drivers.

Why are people so stupid sometimes?;)

Perhaps the depot manager heard about it as I now have somewhere else to park my bike.Shame I can't trust people.What next the brakes?

Tynan

Veteran
hard to believe someone would find that in any way funny

'lighting system' sounds grand, surely person checks their lights are A1 before starting off? I do, all sorts of reasons for them not to be working properly

train drivers? I have them down as slightly grown up children

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I achieved my slowest commute yet, I put it down to the 60mph head wind all the way up the hill, fun though...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How you Scot's coping - any snow... the odd flurry here, but that's it, wind dried by the time it hit's the road. Nothing...nothing....need some for the weekend.....please......

Got in a mild hail storm on way home - nothing like yesterday mornings, but the chaps standing at the door of the pub having a smoke must have thought I was 'Nuts' !

Top Bottom