Hmmm Greyhound or a Collie Cross or ... both...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Go for the Collie. very intelligent and loving. If you have cats and go for the greyhound, make sure you keep it muzzled, The one two doors down from us killed one of our cats in the street when it got away from it's owner. They are after all hunting dogs and will chase all manner of things.

Arch

Married to Night Train
To be purely practical....

You're obviously in a position to offer a huge amount of love and care. I'm guessing some people might be put off by the greyhound's nerves. If you're happy to take it on, then doing so might mean she gets a home that many people couldn't/wouldn't give her, and make up for the shoot start in life. Whereas the collie cross sounds like a dog that will find a home more easily....

Dunno if that helps. Not being a dog owner (maybe, one day), I'm maybe more logical about it. They both sound worthwhile.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I like Arch's thinking. When my family go to rescue centres, we always get the oldest, blindest, smelliest, most toothless cat as we know no-one else will get it and we know how much we'll love it. We've had loads of epileptic cats, which is funny because my dad's epileptic too.

And animals that need the most recovery are generally the most loving, as they recognise how lucky they've been.

But go for both anyway...

U

User482

My friend has two greyhounds. She started with one, but he didn't like being left alone, even for a short while, so responded by chewing up most of her house. She has to keep him muzzled as he'll go after rabbits & cats. Having said that, he's very placid with people, and needs surprisingly little exercise. Collies are probably my favourite dog, but I always think of them as a working animal - I'm not sure how suited they are as a family pet.

Slowgrind

Go for the collie if you can only take one dog. We had the best dog I`ve ever known and she was a Border Collie cross. More inteligent than some people I know and a more pleasant nature than most people I know! She was so clever that one Xmas she managed to suck all the chocolate through the net bag that contained chocolate coin tree decorations without damaging the bag or removing the foil wrappers! It took a few thoughts to realize what had happened, I couldn`t scold her because she had been so neat with the remains!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
behave

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
badkitty said:
Have you considered a rabbit babe?:biggrin:

No, I thought I could borrow yours dear....

That's assuming there's any life left in it of course. :angry:

Ahem. Back on topic.

Saw the collie yesterday and she is waayyyyy too nervous. Very skitty, tail constantly between legs, head down and none of us could move without her jumping up and couching in.

We're not ruling her out as it's obvious she is really scared and insecure. She has only been in since Friday so we are going to have another look at the weekend. Poor thing.

We also saw a staffie that's been there a month but because she has a slightly deformed eye and looks a bit 'ugly' no one has bothered with her. She's around 4 yrs old and they reckon the deformity is due to an injury that the previous owner couldn't be arsed getting fixed.

Urrggghhhhh I just don't know what to do!!! Maybe we should take a step back as the more times we go, the more potential additions to the family we are seeing!

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
punkypossum said:
I thought the greyhound was the nervous one?

She is - but not as bad. She also virutally took the OH off her feet when a little Yorkie came into the walking area. :wacko:

A gorgeous looking creature though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
snapper_37 said:
She is - but not as bad. She also virutally took the OH off her feet when a little Yorkie came into the walking area. :tongue:

A gorgeous looking creature though.

I've always thought I'd like a greyhound, or lurcher type or wolfhound, just because they look so good in broad leather collars. Real medieval hunting dog look.

Top Bottom