HMRC are useless..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I'm done with self assessment now - I've declared myself no longer self employed. I still have two PAYE jobs but I can't take anymore freelance work, which is a shame.
From now on they can sort out all the problems they create - yes, I mean they create - since they admit they made mistakes again in a letter I have.
I will still have to submit for 2014-2015, but then I am done.
Here's to the entrepreneurial country I live in - with an incompetent tax authority making an arse of it all.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle

U

User33236

There was something oddly reassuring tonight when I was able to phone HMRC and speak to someone, at 7pm on a Friday, who sorted out my tax code after it got completely screwed up when I changed jobs recently.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Because of the uniquely stupid way the NHS is set up I have three PAYE jobs, all working for the NHS. Two are relatively steady and the third varies between about £800 and £1,200 a month after tax.

This confuses HMRC no end. This month I have had a "You've overpaid PAYE, here's a cheque for £300" and also a "You owe us £450 for PAYE".

Those amounts are manageable but I have also had mistaken "You owe us £7,600". As others have said if you call them up and wait on hold for a few years they normally just cancel things off but it is a chronically stupid system, funded I assume by overcharging people and not realising.

It is personal to me because my Dad committed suicide after a HMRC investigation into his boss where they lied about having a warrant and seized his car and computers. The case was referred to the IPCC. HMRC got my details from the coroner and tried to bully me into giving a statement to them over the phone. I appreciate that is partly just the way things are in big organisations but I got the impression that they thought they were too big to need to follow the rules.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
For 6 years i've been trying to tell them to stop sending me self assessment tax returns as i haven't been running my own business since 2007. This year, finally, I didn't receive a tax return so thought that they finally got the message....

.....only to receive a £100 fine this morning for not filling in my tax return...

... now i've been on hold for 45 minutes waiting to get through to someone to sort this out.

FFS.

I think they are brilliant - they have been very efficiently topping up their coffers from mine for decades now.

Can't fault them really.

Top Bottom