HMRC are useless..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am an unpaid tax collector on behalf of hmrc (my customers pay VAT on products they purchase from me) yet I am the one who has the responsibility of getting it right and punished if wrong.

subaqua

What’s the point
It is my responsibility to pay the right amount of tax, up until the point their computer system mysteriously loses one of my (main) employments from their records, resulting in weeks of discussions around the fact that I STILL WORK THERE.

Please repeat your statement?

still your LEGAL responsibility to ensure details are correct , despite them screwing the system up, as much as we hate it.

I had the opposite problem of a massive rebate that I knew I couldn't possibly be owed. That sat in my banks safe for a few months while it got sorted.

still your LEGAL responsibility to ensure details are correct , despite them screwing the system up, as much as we hate it.

I had the opposite problem of a massive rebate that I knew I couldn't possibly be owed. That sat in my banks safe for a few months while it got sorted.
Did you deduct a £100 penalty for missing their deadline?^_^

MarkF

Guru
I was cycle touring, I filed my accounts for 3 dormant companies 2 days late, 3 companies that had never traded and not 1p had ever passed through. HMRC fined me £450. :eek:
Talk about the punishment fitting the crime, :wacko: of course this made me think, how can I get that £450 back? Totally counter productive.................

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I was cycle touring, I filed my accounts for 3 dormant companies 2 days late, 3 companies that had never traded and not 1p had ever passed through. HMRC fined me £450. :eek:
Talk about the punishment fitting the crime, :wacko: of course this made me think, how can I get that £450 back? Totally counter productive.................

To be fair, that is Companies House not HMRC.

HMRC would only fine you £300.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle

If you work for HMRC, you'll know how poor the RTI System is, it's failings, and the undue stress it causes honest people who put their trust in the tax experts. My trust is well and truly at ZERO.

subaqua

What’s the point
If you work for HMRC, you'll know how poor the RTI System is, it's failings, and the undue stress it causes honest people who put their trust in the tax experts. My trust is well and truly at ZERO.
HMRC are not the tax experts.

KPMG , PWC, Deloitte , Ernst and Young are the Experts not HMRC. that's like saying the government are the experts at running the country

Ive done this both through the comments box on the tax return and by phoning them up every year for the last 6 years, the forms just kept on coming

They keep sending you the damned forms. I've put zeros in all the boxes for the last 6 years running too!!

Hopefully, this will be the end of it, the woman today seemed the most clued up of the lot that i've spoken to over the years.

Putting zeros in the boxes merely tells them that for that tax year you had nil income - to stop getting a tax return the following year, as stated above, you have to formally confirm to HMRC that you've ceased trading.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
HMRC are not the tax experts.

KPMG , PWC, Deloitte , Ernst and Young are the Experts not HMRC. that's like saying the government are the experts at running the country

They don't have a clue, I know that much.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well that's karma for you. After reading this with a wry smile the other day what did I find in my post box today? A 100 pound fine for non submission! Despite the fact that I've not stepped foot on British soil for 2 years! After a 45 min wait in a phone Que I spoke to a lady who said "yes it's all here on the system that you quit trading in 2012" So why the blooming fine then!

More worrisome was how the he'll they knew the address of our new house here in Germany. They knew my first flat in Germany, but I'd never told them when we bought this house, why would I?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Putting zeros in the boxes merely tells them that for that tax year you had nil income - to stop getting a tax return the following year, as stated above, you have to formally confirm to HMRC that you've ceased trading.
This... then ring them up and double check that the box stating that you've ceased trading is well and truly ticked.

When made aware (after receiving a couple of fines... due to my own ignorance and inactivity), I filed my tax return full of zeros and ticked the box. Then i got another £100 fine so I queried it... turned out i hadn't filled in a tax return for the preceding year, so i swallowed the fine and filled in the previous year's return, then got another fine for not filling in the return for the year before that, and on it went... all in all, a £64 tax bill ended up being £764. :sad:

Last year had the bizarre situation where confirmation by my bank of the HMRC recieving the payment, including the account into which it was paid with time and date was not considered sufficient evidence that I had paid.

Apparently them paying the cheque into the wrong account is my responsibility!

Top Bottom