Hobbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Things I like to try and do when not working or riding my bike:
  • Restoring my Triumph TR7 convertible (though it's definitely on the back burner. Haven't done any for ages as it's blocked in my friend's garage after my ex said she wanted the space back.
  • Programming. I made a little money from this when I wrote an app for my old Nokia. I've got my cycling app about 90% ready (feature complete, just needs a bit of optimisation & debugging), and I've got a great idea re classic car restoration, so this might become more than a hobby...

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Tropical fish, weight training, running when my knee can take it, ballroom dancing, very occasional banjo ukulele, reading, and a bit of Airfix modelling.
All a lie, we know what your hobbies are...:ph34r::mrpig::evil:

I like looking up and down, blinking and im quite partial to picking up lost pennies off the floor...

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Golfballs ! All from one company [Ping], and all from the 1980's. No definative list of colours was ever produced. So you gotta just keep on searching every avenue you have available.........

1.%20True%20Bi-Colous_zpsbwoaf20r.jpg

2.%20Metallics_zps2qeaymfm.jpg

4.%20Bi-Colours_zpsrg5lhyw7.jpg

5.%20Prototypes_zpsocgtiqdg.jpg

3.%20Solids_zpstxdxeixi.jpg

6.%20Logos%20etc_zpsyevnrrjl.jpg

7.%20All%20stands_zps7hvhngxe.jpg

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Never seen the 2 coloured ones before, nice collection.
Any "famous" ones?

One of my very favourites is this one:

The story behind it, and how it came to be is fascinating in my opinion, with Karsten "PING" (Who made these) being Norwegian and basically 'muscling' his way in on being involved with the Winter Olympics being held in his home Country in 1994. So here it is in essence (Googled info):

"Brand New Collector Ping Eye 2 Gold Golf Ball, ONLY AVAILABLE TO THE 1994 LILLEHAMMER, NORWAY OLYMPIC VILLAGE ATHLETES. Extremely Rare! Gold color with custom 1994 Lillehammer Norway logo. No blemishes scratches or nicks. Very collectable

The Ping Inc (Karsten Manufacturing) had sponsored a putting course for the 1994 Olympic athletes to play on during their time off between competing. The course was designed and built at the Phoenix, Arizona plant and then disassembled to be shipped to Norway to be reassembled in the Olympic village. The course was then manned by a golf professional to hold daily competitions for the lowest round of the day. A leader board was used to post the events statistics. There was no limit to how many rounds an athlete could play and the prize was one of these Bronze, Silver or Gold custom balls".

So...now just imagine.....this AMAZING golf ball that has been 'won' during an Olympic Athletes downtime, during an Olympic event is now in my humble collection. Incredible !

012.jpg

One of my very favourites is this one:

The story behind it, and how it came to be is fascinating in my opinion, with Karsten "PING" (Who made these) being Norwegian and basically 'muscling' his way in on being involved with the Winter Olympics being held in his home Country in 1994. So here it is in essence (Googled info):

"Brand New Collector Ping Eye 2 Gold Golf Ball, ONLY AVAILABLE TO THE 1994 LILLEHAMMER, NORWAY OLYMPIC VILLAGE ATHLETES. Extremely Rare! Gold color with custom 1994 Lillehammer Norway logo. No blemishes scratches or nicks. Very collectable

The Ping Inc (Karsten Manufacturing) had sponsored a putting course for the 1994 Olympic athletes to play on during their time off between competing. The course was designed and built at the Phoenix, Arizona plant and then disassembled to be shipped to Norway to be reassembled in the Olympic village. The course was then manned by a golf professional to hold daily competitions for the lowest round of the day. A leader board was used to post the events statistics. There was no limit to how many rounds an athlete could play and the prize was one of these Bronze, Silver or Gold custom balls".

So...now just imagine.....this AMAZING golf ball that has been 'won' during an Olympic Athletes downtime, during an Olympic event is now in my humble collection. Incredible !

012.jpg
That really is an amazing collection, but, you really should try to get out more!

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
That really is an amazing collection, but, you really should try to get out more!

Ha ha - 99.9% come from the USA - where they were manufactured. The time, energy and amount of emails to secure some of them is quite ridiculous.........

Its a joint collection between myself and my Dad. I'm betting between us we have thousands and thousands of hours in chasing up, sorting, securing purchases, organising postage etc etc

So your right. I probably do need to 'get a life' !

Ha ha - 99.9% come from the USA - where they were manufactured. The time, energy and amount of emails to secure some of them is quite ridiculous.........

Its a joint collection between myself and my Dad. I'm betting between us we have thousands and thousands of hours in chasing up, sorting, securing purchases, organising postage etc etc

Good on yer!! Collecting can be a tads compulsive!!

Ps. If you sold them to Tate Modern you'd make a fortune!!

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I occasionally sing in my brother's band, play the flute, gardening. I was going to say I do a bit of stand-up comedy, but is it still a hobby when I am paid more for a Saturday evening than a full week at my day-job?

Top Bottom