Holding cars up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Great minds discuss ideas,
Average minds discuss events,
Small minds discuss people.
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Don't let it get personal - or it'll be closed.
you've waited years to use that one!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant!

Bicycle

At the risk of referring to the original post, how on earth can folk sit in that queue day after day after day ...........

It's odd, isn't it?

But I've done it and still have to occasionally.

It is extremely expensive, not good for stress levels and just doesn't get you to your destination in a happy-happy mindset.

It can be OK on the way home, because it gives you a time buffer between work and relaxing/cooking/reading to dhildren.

Having said that, it is not as good as the time buffer offered by a nice ride and the obligatory 30-minute crash-out on a sofa.

I think people just carry on doing what they've always done. The perception that cars give us enormous freedom is broadly accurate, but not in allcircumstances.

It's odd to see too, how many cars have a single occupant. I have no issue with that per se, but for all those people in traffic it would be so much better if they'd share their car. People are funny about sharing things, I think.

I car-shared for about a year once to keep my parking space and it was good - to my surprise. Never went in his car, as I cycled on his driving days, but he always gave me a friendly toot as he went by.

I just adore cars, but i think more people would stop commuting in them if they did the maths on variable costs.

As employers start to reduce parking space and charge for its use, I think more people will cycle - and I think they'll be surprised how much they enjoy it.

d87heaven

That's always an interesting one.

There is usually a choice, its just that people dont want to hear they do.

So how would you suggest a builder transports all his equipment to be at a customers say?
What about the teacher with 200 school school books, art supplies etc?
What about the parent having to drop off the kids at 2 different schools 10 miles apart and having to get to work afterwards?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So how would you suggest a builder transports all his equipment to be at a customers say?
What about the parent having to drop off the kids at 2 different schools 10 miles apart and having to get to work afterwards?

There is usually a choice, its just that people dont want to hear they do.

snorri

Legendary Member

Yes, I remember it well. There was no car park at my school, just a space where the teachers parked their barrows which they used to carry all the books to and from school every day. :sad:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

I read an article in some bike mag about 12 months ago about a plasterer that cycles to work. I think, if memory serves, that he would drive in the one day and dump his gear, cycle the rest of the time he was on that job, then drive in again to pick his gear up.

400bhp

Guru

See Mugshot's reply.

:smile:

doog

I read an article in some bike mag about 12 months ago about a plasterer that cycles to work. I think, if memory serves, that he would drive in the one day and dump his gear, cycle the rest of the time he was on that job, then drive in again to pick his gear up.

He was lucky ! builders etc tend not to leave their gear / tools on site overnight nowadays due to the thieving (not oxygen type) population of this country.

In addition finding work within cycling distance is usually as rare as rocking horse stuff.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
commonplace these days. Safe storage for tools essential, mind

Jezston

Über Member
Just read through this thread - what a rollercoaster and generally quite a depressing read.

A great deal of not at all 'fun and friendly' behaviour shown here.

Top Bottom