Holding cars up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Just read through this thread - what a rollercoaster and generally quite a depressing read.

A great deal of not at all 'fun and friendly' behaviour shown here.

Well, it certainly had the predictable ups and downs of a ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but these video threads are more like Punch and Judy shows; what with the repetitious succession of encounters, knockabout humour, unsavoury undertones and everyone gleefully hollering like kids: "That's the way to do it".

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Well, it certainly had the predictable ups and downs of a ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but these video threads are more like Punch and Judy shows; what with the repetitious succession of encounters, knockabout humour, unsavoury undertones and everyone gleefully hollering like kids: "That's the way to do it".

Well thats us;)

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
At the risk of referring to the original post, how on earth can folk sit in that queue day after day after day ...........
I find myself saying that, but when I think about it, the queueing really isn't the issue at all. When I used the car, I used to listen to the Today programme on radio 4, which I enjoyed. Despite the queueing, my journey time was a bit shorter than it is on my bike, and the bike journey is a lot longer if I include the time to pack and unpack panniers, wash and dry, and get changed. The changing is necessary as I am dripping with sweat when I get there and it would take me a long time to get there without breaking sweat.

The main difference I see is that the people in the queues mostly have fat bellies like I used to have, and that's the motivation for me.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So how would you suggest a builder transports all his equipment to be at a customers say?
What about the teacher with 200 school school books, art supplies etc?
What about the parent having to drop off the kids at 2 different schools 10 miles apart and having to get to work afterwards?

1) It would probably be more sensible for him to use a van rather than try to shove it all in panniers.
2) It would probably be more sensible for them to use the boot of a car rather than shove them all in panniers.
3) It would probably be more sensible for them to use a car, however it may depend on the age of the children and whether or not there is any school transport available. Maybe they live close to another parent and they could take it in turns driving the children to school.

There are situations where using a motorised vehicle would be preferable to using a bicycle, when transporting bricks for example, however, sometimes, though not always, people could cycle rather than driving.

Hence

There is usually a choice, its just that people dont want to hear they do.

Wasn't an answer to my three examples was it.

So I think it may have been.

d87heaven

Why use one posting when many more will do. Jeezz this forum is hard work.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I find myself saying that, but when I think about it, the queueing really isn't the issue at all. When I used the car, I used to listen to the Today programme on radio 4, which I enjoyed. Despite the queueing, my journey time was a bit shorter than it is on my bike, and the bike journey is a lot longer if I include the time to pack and unpack panniers, wash and dry, and get changed. The changing is necessary as I am dripping with sweat when I get there and it would take me a long time to get there without breaking sweat.

The main difference I see is that the people in the queues mostly have fat bellies like I used to have, and that's the motivation for me.

I find myself getting really bored and annoyed when I am out with the family on a long journey somewhere and we end up getting stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway. I recall one such instance where we were going on holiday and get stuck behind a large crash.
We were only stationary for 1 hour but I was being a good samaritan and telling other drivers of what had happened. they were very grateful.

I hate getting stuck in traffic jams. Its one benefit of being on a bike, you can slip past everyone. I love it in summer when I am passing everyone and just watching them all get annoyed.

Top Bottom