Holding your breath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was bored watching the football on tv, so i decided to wait till the clock in the corner of the screen started a new minute then hold my breath. The first attempt i managed 55 seconds, My second attempt a few minutes later was 1 minute 14 seconds which had me gasping when i started to breath again. I used to be able to do around 1 minute 40 seconds. Does anyone know if your ability to hold your breath depends on your age as well as i presume your fitness level? How long can you hold your breath?( I think the world record is around the 4 minute mark). No exaggerations please!:smile:

outlash

also available in orange
How old are you? Isn't it past your bedtime?

TVC

Researching recently for a risk assessment for nitrogen asphyxiation I learned that the breathing reflex is triggered by the level of CO2 in the lungs and not a lack of oxygen in the blood.

Pub bore mode = off.

midlife

Guru
Researching recently for a risk assessment for nitrogen asphyxiation I learned that the breathing reflex is triggered by the level of CO2 in the lungs and not a lack of oxygen in the blood.

Pub bore mode = off.

If someone has a chronic breathing problem then the high level of CO2 drive you describe gets switched off and they revert to the lack of 02 drive. Give them high levels of oxygen and the drive disappears and they have a habit of stopping breathing.

Now that's a pub bore :smile:

Shaun

Reactions: TVC
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just been to the shop on my bike. I climbed a fairly steep hill on the way back holding my breath. I only managed about 25 yards then i had to breath. Holding your breath while pumping your heart isn't to be recommended!:heat:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
[QUOTE 4046750, member: 76"]You have to be able to control the panic as you start to lose oxygen, then with the panic your body needs more oxygen and you take a big breath. Free divers often use yoga deep breathing exercises to ease the panic.[/QUOTE]

Bollix.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with oxygen.It's all about CO2. When you breathe in, you only absorb about 5% of the available O2. The need to breathe out is based on the CO2 build up. When your face is immersed in water, something called the mammalian dive relfex is triggered - ie the heart rate lowers, extrenal limb blood supply lowers, and blood shift takes place (more blood to the chest)....

If free divers used yoga deep breathing techniques to ease the panic, then they would be breathing in what exactly...oh...water.....free divers use deep breathing techniques to saturate their breath with O2, meaning they can purge CO2 underwater without the need to add O2

If you don't agree with this, come diving with me.....

Shaun

Founder
Not as long as I thought. :eek: I managed about a minute (plus 15 seconds if you count breathing out slowly).

Hang on, I'll have another go and post the time ...

Top Bottom