Holding your breath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Used to do this when I was bored with the lesson at school.

Now I do it when putting on my shoes.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I used to be able to do about 2m15s - but 30 years of smoking has put paid to that and I can manage about a minute now.

I did try free diving a few times but found out fairly quickly that I preferred have a tank strapped to my back.
tut tut...air comes in cylinders, beer comes in bottles and Germans come in tanks....you'll be calling them flippers next.....

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've found that holding my breath for at least a minute will cure hiccups every time.

Not sure how long I can hold my breath for in total. I know I can swim a length of a swimming pool without coming up for air.

Years ago, a mate of mine on his honeymoon in South Africa was challenged to an underwater swimming competition at the hotel pool by a male German who had 'befriended' him.

After being out-done by the German in the number of widths and lengths swum, my mate bet £500 (a lot of money in the 70s, although John was a millionaire) that he could swim under water for five minutes without coming up for air.

The German readily accepted the bet only to see John return to the pool after half an hour with mask, fins, cylinders, the lot.

The German wasn't happy, but paid up, and John didn't see him again for the rest of his honeymoon.

midlife

Guru
Bollix.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with oxygen.It's all about CO2. When you breathe in, you only absorb about 5% of the available O2. The need to breathe out is based on the CO2 build up. When your face is immersed in water, something called the mammalian dive relfex is triggered - ie the heart rate lowers, extrenal limb blood supply lowers, and blood shift takes place (more blood to the chest)....

If free divers used yoga deep breathing techniques to ease the panic, then they would be breathing in what exactly...oh...water.....free divers use deep breathing techniques to saturate their breath with O2, meaning they can purge CO2 underwater without the need to add O2

If you don't agree with this, come diving with me.....

I thought MDR tailed off after 6 months from birth to be a vestigial remnant of what it was?

Shaun

Top Bottom