Holdsworth-Campagnolo 1976

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
My dad used to cycle semi pro back in the 70's and in his time had a number of bikes. We got chatting last night and he told me how his bike that has been hanging in his garage for the past 20 years was hand built by him with any spare money he had.

The frame is a Holdsworth Campagnolo as used by the team back in the mid to late 70's I don't know to much about the bike but will be having a look at it some time this week to see if there is any stamping on the frame etc. The bike had all the top parts added back in the day Shimano derailleur etc the only thing he had to do on a budget was the brakes as the ones he really wanted were too pricey at the time and he wanted to get out on the road with the bike.

Condition wise all it really needs is a new set of tires tubes brake pads and maybe a check on the chain which is still shining silver.

Question is can anyone point me in the right direction for history and also estimated value of said bike. I know the details are sketchy but once I get a chance I will get some photos and a better spec of the parts.

Thanks in advance

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Does it have wrap-over seat-stays?

If you post pictures ..... I might have to take a cold shower .....

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
No idea what should I be looking for. I am totally new to cycling having only just got myself a Carrera virtuoso second hand I can basically tell you where the frame is the chain is and brakes that's as far as my knowledge extends too?

midlife

Guru
Late 70's pro frames had an "H" panto'd on the seat caps.there is a Holdsworth site by nickillgraff (or something) which has a lot of info.

Please do not sell your dads bike, its priceless :smile:

Pics would be very nice

Shaun

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Does it have wrap-over seat-stays?

If you post pictures ..... I might have to take a cold shower .....
Just googled it and I see what you mean will check it out and let you know.

What are your thoughts about this frame I don't really know much about it but dad got very animated and excited when he spoke about how it rode and how tight and stiff it felt compared to his other competition bike?

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Late 70's pro frames had an "H" panto'd on the seat caps.there is a Holdsworth site by nickillgraff (or something) which has a lot of info.

Please do not sell your dads bike, its priceless :smile:

Pics would be very nice

Shaun
Oh ok well I will get some pics tommorrow and hopefully you guys can shed some more light on it.

We're not 100% about selling it but parents will be downsizing in the coming years so may have no choice.

midlife

Guru
The Holdsworth pro frames became shorter and more twitchy as time went on, in the mid 70's they reached a peak which made riding in a bunch little disconcerting. In the later 70's they were a little more relaxed in design but always born to race. The chrome dissapeard from the later ones suggesting they were 753.

I have ridden a couple and very nice they are too. My favour pro (Phil Baytyon) ride for Holdsworth. I would love to have one :smile:. Pictures might give me a wet trouser moment.

You might have guessed I'm a child of the 70's

Yours may well like like this one, as I mentioned it was the shortest and most upright frame.
ProFrame76.jpg

Shaun

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
The Holdsworth pro frames became shorter and more twitchy as time went on, in the mid 70's they reached a peak which made riding in a bunch little disconcerting. In the later 70's they were a little more relaxed in design but always born to race. The chrome dissapeard from the later ones suggesting they were 753.

I have ridden a couple and very nice they are too. My favour pro (Phil Baytyon) ride for Holdsworth. I would love to have one :smile:. Pictures might give me a wet trouser moment.

Yours may well like like this one, as I mentioned it was the shortest and most upright frame.
ProFrame76.jpg

Shaun
From memory yes it is similar it is white or an off cream I think?

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Another vote for not selling your Dads bike , why cant you use and enjoy it

i know i would
I would love to use it but having only just started riding road bikes I think I would be constantly worried I might break it or worse come off the bike and do some serious damage to a classic.

Maybe I will drop some hints ready for the summer get a set of tires and tubes and give it a short spin to see how I get on with it just out of curiosity.

Having never riden anything other than a budget carrera bike from halfords without carbon forks I really have nothing to gauge the differences and benefits of a top made bike so it would be nice to try it out.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I would love to use it but having only just started riding road bikes I think I would be constantly worried I might break it or worse come off the bike and do some serious damage to a classic.

Maybe I will drop some hints ready for the summer get a set of tires and tubes and give it a short spin to see how I get on with it just out of curiosity.

Having never riden anything other than a budget carrera bike from halfords without carbon forks I really have nothing to gauge the differences and benefits of a top made bike so it would be nice to try it out.

its not about riding fast its just the riding a bike that your dad has ridden on and enjoyed , and see his enjoyment of the bike being ridden

i wish my parents had kept there bikes

even if you kept it and just rode it round the block once in a while you would enjoy it and soon get the feel of it

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
its not about riding fast its just the riding a bike that your dad has ridden on and enjoyed , and see his enjoyment of the bike being ridden

i wish my parents had kept there bikes

even if you kept it and just rode it round the block once in a while you would enjoy it and soon get the feel of it
Yeah your right the way he was talking about it the other night and how passionate he was it would be lovely to get him involved with making it road worthy again and take it out for a ride. Whether I could get him back into the saddle is another matter as he hasn't ridden a bike since I was 5 and I am now 34

.. The chrome dissapeard from the later ones suggesting they were 753.

Shaun
The chrome disappeared from not only Holdsworth bikes in the late 70s for several reasons, cost, weight, and a red herring that it caused the steel to go brittle, (it can but a good plater can stop it). If the Professional was 753 I think Holdsworth would have advertised it as such and charged the extra.

midlife

Guru
Here's a scan from June 1978 with Phil Bayton on the 1978 year Holdsworth Professional from my Cycling mag , Yep, the chrome went for a lot of reasons and I would guess the frame below is in 531 SL which morphed into 531 Pro.

What I meant to say, but not very well, was that what on the frames that the pro's rode was not was what it was made of :smile:

24q0c5d.jpg

The

Last edited:

ProFrame76.jpg

Shaun
Crikey, 75 degree? That's so upright it's almost falling over itself! Must've been twitchy as...... anything!

Top Bottom