Holdsworth-Campagnolo 1976

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Right guys I have got a hand full of pictures for you.

Having had a proper look at it the bike does have the chrome detail see for your self.

I have also taken some pictures of the components used for you to comment on.

I have messaged Holdsworth through their Facebook page to get a bit more history on this particular bike.

What we do from there will depend. Of course the bike could do with a full clean down. Bearings could also do with a proper service as the headset is pretty stiff and the chain is solid. I got a rag on the chrome and even though it's pitted with a bit of metal polish and elbow grease it should come up a treat.

Attachments

• 20151129_123011.jpg
    20151129_123011.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 20151129_123524.jpg
    20151129_123524.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20151129_123457.jpg
    20151129_123457.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20151129_123535.jpg
    20151129_123535.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 20151129_123114.jpg
    20151129_123114.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 20151129_123612.jpg
    20151129_123612.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20151129_123628.jpg
    20151129_123628.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Very nice, should clean up a treat.
Mind you @Fab Foodie may have to go for a lie down when he sees the piccies. :laugh:
Haha to be honest having looked over the bike I can appreciate the workmanship gone into it.

Out of interest what would be the best way to proceed with such a bike should we look to sell it. Would you suggest getting it cleaned up give it a service and sell it as a runner or sell it as a project?

I think we are airing on the possibility of cleaning it up in the spring get an idea of what needs doing and subject to costs go from there.

willem

Über Member
That is clearly an interesting bike. I remember those bikes as 1976 was the year I bought my first road bike when living in the UK (something as nice as this I could not afford). Please be aware that its value strongly depends on its originality, and for some that means that even the dirt or the original (and functionally useless) brake cables or tyres are part of that. If you want to ride it (as I would) some work obviously needs to be done, but even then avoid any upgrading, and try to stay as close as possible to the original. If you need to replace any old part, keep it in a box. Avoid taking it to the LBS.

midlife

Guru
Yep, there would be plenty of takers on here if you decided to sell. Things like the 3TTT, stem if it moves, help :smile:

The frame style and braze ons puts it as late 60's to early 70's

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Haha to be honest having looked over the bike I can appreciate the workmanship gone into it.

Out of interest what would be the best way to proceed with such a bike should we look to sell it. Would you suggest getting it cleaned up give it a service and sell it as a runner or sell it as a project?

I think we are airing on the possibility of cleaning it up in the spring get an idea of what needs doing and subject to costs go from there.
I'm still of the opinion of 'keep it and ride it' but f you choose to sell then that is up to you.
I think you'd end up regretting selling though.

That's a real beauty and unless you're absolutely desperate for the money then keep it, clean it, replace what needs replacing and then ride it: your dad will love it, and I promise you'll regret selling it. And if you happen to become completely addicted to collecting old bikes (not that that's ever happened round here :rolleyes:), you won't find a nicer one, and you certainly won't find one more personal to you!

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Well it seems as if dad has got the bug back again and there is talk of over the Christmas break getting it down off the wall get some chrome polish clean it up strip it down and see if the bearings etc can be serviced or replaced once we have done that we can then price up the parts needed and go from their.

In a way it will be great for me striping down a bike and servicing it as I have a very limited knowledge of bike mechanics even though I am happy putting my hand to most automotive mechanics like brakes and general electrics and servicing.

Will keep you posted.

If, as you said in your first post:
Condition wise all it really needs is a new set of tires tubes brake pads and maybe a check on the chain which is still shining silver.
I'm willing to bet that since your dad was such a keen rider, all it'll need is a regrease and new rubber. This is gonna be a great project for you and your dad to do together, it's a really special bike, both for its quality and the family history attached to it; I'm really envious - enjoy! And don't forget to keep us posted!

Top Bottom