Holdsworth Cycles to shut down after 86 years! Sad news indeed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My local bike shop, Holdsworth in Putney SW London, is to shut down after 86 years in business! I have used them for many years and they always gave great service. I only found this out today when I called to book my bike in for some work. The guy I spoke simply told me that they cannot compete with the likes of Wiggle and Chainreaction. I suppose that is the way it is for many small or independent local businesses.

Sad news indeed!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sad to see any LBS close down. The only way to compete nowadays is to have an online presence..

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sad to see any LBS close down. The only way to compete nowadays is to have an online presence..
I got a Planet-X email today, introducing Holdsworth Bikes.

Now Holdsworth have moved on to a new chapter in their long celebrated history, venturing into the world of carbon fibre frames and reviving the all-time classic Professional steel bike. With over 50 years of experience in frame design, the Holdsworth team continue their illustrious record.

The NEW Holdsworth bikes & frames are exclusively available at Planet X...

So the bike continues but the shop disappears.

Davidc

Guru
I remember that shop when it used to be part of the same operation as the manufacturing of Holdsworth bikes.

Sad it's going, but the name may live on with Falcon.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I got a Planet-X email today, introducing Holdsworth Bikes.

So the bike continues but the shop disappears.
Same with so many brands, not just bikes!
I've yet to see a computer give my gears or brakes a free fettle as I ride past it as I bought the bike from it. My LBS's will!

fossala

Guru
Same with so many brands, not just bikes!
I've yet to see a computer give my gears or brakes a free fettle as I ride past it as I bought the bike from it. My LBS's will!
But the money you saved from buying from the computer means you can pay your LBS to do it.

fossala

Guru
Assuming you can still find one..
I don't need to, I do my own. But I don't think LBS are as poor as you think. Every one around me are always busy and have a long waiting list for repairs. One even just moved to a bigger place as they are doing so well (no wonder when they rip people off so badly).

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't need to, I do my own. But I don't think LBS are as poor as you think. Every one around me are always busy and have a long waiting list for repairs. One even just moved to a bigger place as they are doing so well (no wonder when they rip people off so badly).
Here speaks a person who does not understand business costs, they charge money therefore they must be ripping people off. Utter piffle my dear man.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sounds good value to me, how much per hour does it cost the shop to open? to the nearest £5 will do.

screenman

Legendary Member
No just smart, I charge much the same without the shop overheads. Now you have failed to tell me the shops overheads.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Forty years ago Holdsworth were the big bad guys on the South London block - buying up smaller independents and using the name as a badge. Strange how things turn out..........

Local bike shops are opening up all over South London. Putney Cycles, a mile or so down the road, have been going for twenty years. If they can do it, why can't Holdsworth?

Top Bottom