Hole in new shed: patch up or send back?

Send back or patch up?

• Send back

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Patch up

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
20170311_095003.jpg
Quick poll, new shed arrived yesterday. Cheapo thing, sides made of overlap board. Has a knot hole in it. Obviously you get knots in this sort of board and if it was a fence panel I wouldn't be remotely bothered but a shed's supposed to be weatherproof. I could also patch it up very easily so is it grounds to send the thing back and ask for a replacement? The bearers were also missing so I do need to get in touch with them and have a whinge anyway...

U

User6179

Is that a chipboard floor I see !?
I wouldn't send it back for the hole but one wee leak over the winter and that floor will be goosed .

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The knot isn't a worry like you say, but the others will possibly fall out in the summer. Airflow is good in a shed. Water is not. The bearers are a problem though. If you don't get air under your shed, it'll rot from the bottom upwards. Cheap enough to get some timber from a builders' merchants if that's easier than a drawn out claim.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is that a chipboard floor I see !?
I wouldn't send it back for the hole but one wee leak over the winter and that floor will be goosed .
More likely the roof. Floors of the el-cheapos are normally osb.
The floor's T&G. That's the roof.

Bearers I'll either get them to send out, or get a refund and go to the B&Q at the end of the road. I'll also need to get them to refund my friday delivery surcharge since I didn't get a complete delivery, which is one reason I thought it might just be easier to send the whole thing back and claim a refund.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I bought a Yardmaster metal shed 10 years ago (4mx3m) and it's still as good as new. They do all sorts of sizes..

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
The floor appears to have 'bearers' nailed to it just make sure they're sat on DPC and it should be fine.

1 tip, give all the panels a coat of whatever preservative you plan on using upside down before assembly then give a 2nd coat after you've put it together.
Technically those are the doors visible in the photo, but the floor's of similar construction. Still, I've paid for the bearers so I would rather have them. The shed's going on some rather uneven ground so it's going to take a bit of jiggery-pokery to get the base level.

Top tip with the preservative though, that's how I did the fence.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Patch it. We have a summer house of similar construction, but I spent a while thermally insulating then lined it with ply. It;s a good starter. The knot has fallen out, so that's why there is a hole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Righto, poll's running 18 to one in favour of patching, but today I just got round to opening the instructions. Lo & behold...
20170313_221753.jpg

So since they've got to come back with the bearers anyway, I'll get them to chuck a spare board on the back of the truck, problem solved. Now I just need to find a 1p piece and Bob's your uncle.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well a load more of the knots fell out but they were good enough to send an entire replacement back panel. They also sent bearers but only three when there should be six, so I still don't have all the parts. Well I do because there's a B&Q spitting distance from my house, but that's not the point.

The bit that's annoying me though is that I paid a surcharge to get it delivered on a Friday. You'd have thought that as the delivery was incomplete and defective that they'd refund this, but they won't. So I'm amusing myself by sending increasingly angry and sarcastic messages to Kybotech customer services. Their latest response is that they are waiting for the parts to be manufactured. It's three 3' lengths of 47 x 47mm pressure treated timber, how long can it take?

Still, shed shackle arrived today and I've got tomorrow off work so let's hope it stays dry and I can get the thing built.

Oh yeah, picking up a bike to keep in it too...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just spend a bit of time getting it sorted. Our Summer house is a million times better than the thing that was delivered, but I intended to insulate and line it. It also has a decking boarded floor, so the strength is there.

Don't rush.

This was June last year. It didn't exist in March (bear in mind I had broken my back and didn't get out of hospital until January). My wife had it delivered in late summer - we were still away at weekends at the caravan - when was I going to get it done. I had just about done a first treatment of base paint in the autumn on the parts (frames etc..), then thought about the decking layout, got the wood, then got bamm... back broken....

It's a basic shed/summer house, but we insulated it and ply lined it, decking was done first though. It's only 6x8 but we had 10 Teen girls in there between showers on my daughters birthday in June. WIFI booster and mains/USB charge points.. PS I had lots of help from my wife and kids.

It's a cheap (ish) summer house, but it took a fair amount to get it to a usable space, that will cost with any shed ! This was done on spare land at the side of our garden. Despite putting up a 'shed' the neighbours have all said how nice it is (it's partially in view).

20160625_124721.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom