Hole in new shed: patch up or send back?

Send back or patch up?

• Send back

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Patch up

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do a chargeback on your credit card.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just spend a bit of time getting it sorted. Our Summer house is a million times better than the thing that was delivered, but I intended to insulate and line it. It also has a decking boarded floor, so the strength is there.

Don't rush.

This was June last year. It didn't exist in March (bear in mind I had broken my back and didn't get out of hospital until January). My wife had it delivered in late summer - we were still away at weekends at the caravan - when was I going to get it done. I had just about done a first treatment of base paint in the autumn on the parts (frames etc..), then thought about the decking layout, got the wood, then got bamm... back broken....

It's a basic shed/summer house, but we insulated it and ply lined it, decking was done first though. It's only 6x8 but we had 10 Teen girls in there between showers on my daughters birthday in June. WIFI booster and mains/USB charge points.. PS I had lots of help from my wife and kids.

It's a cheap (ish) summer house, but it took a fair amount to get it to a usable space, that will cost with any shed ! This was done on spare land at the side of our garden. Despite putting up a 'shed' the neighbours have all said how nice it is (it's partially in view).

View attachment 343630
Nice. We're in a rented house right now and hope to be out by autumn so the current shed's just for temporary storage of a cheap bike and some garden stuff. I'll still be modding it a bit, beefing up the frame to take the shed shackle and stuff. My colour scheme's the same as yours though! When we do move I've got plans for some serious shed building though. Workshop for me, summerhouse for wife, playhouse for daughter...

Do a chargeback on your credit card.
To be honest it's only a few quid so I'm not sure it's worth my time pursuing it in any meaningful way. I'm quite enjoying our little conversation though. They keep saying how sorry they are and how they take customer satisfaction very seriously. I keep pointing out that if they were that sorry and bothered about customer satisfaction, they would refund my delivery surcharge. And round and round it goes. What I might do is tell them of my plans to build loads of garden buildings at the new house but point out that I shan't be buying them from their company, so for the sake of a £9.99 refund they've done themselves out of maybe a grand or so's business. Probably get the same meaningless standard response though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its pith easy mate. Phone your CC company, give them the day and date of the transaction, tell the it included an £X fee for next day delivery, which ultimately never materialised in full. They'll do it in a minute or so with little or no quibble.

Tell the vendor what you're doing. You paid extra in exchange for a certain contractual obligation, and they've a moral and legal need to then deliver. Point of principle, and the more jokers are permitted to get away with it the more they'll do it.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Its pith easy mate. Phone your CC company, give them the day and date of the transaction, tell the it included an £X fee for next day delivery, which ultimately never materialised in full. They'll do it in a minute or so with little or no quibble.

Tell the vendor what you're doing. You paid extra in exchange for a certain contractual obligation, and they've a moral and legal need to then deliver. Point of principle, and the more jokers are permitted to get away with it the more they'll do it.
If it's just a quick phone call I might do it tomorrow, inbetween swearing at bits of timber.

Drago

Legendary Member
I did a CC once. Bought new tyres for the car, got home to check the invoice to find they'd charged me £12 for new valves. All well and good but they had TPMS so no new valves at all.

The tyre place were arsey, came up with various reasons when they wouldn't or couldn't do it then and there, so I stood at their counter, used my Moby to phone MBNA and get it refunded while I was right in front of them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice. Workshop for me, summerhouse for wife, playhouse for daughter...

Bikes.. So much crap from the kids/wife in the garage...

Our garage is a bike den, but the carp from the house is causing me major "maintenance moving about room"

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I built a lovely shed/ workshop with a 4 meter workbench down one side. 10 years and two kids later it's just full of shite.

To do anywork in there involves 30mins of moving stuff outside before I can even get in it.

Wife wants a summerhouse next to house our spa, can see that going the same way..

Alan O

Über Member
Righto, poll's running 18 to one in favour of patching, but today I just got round to opening the instructions. Lo & behold...
View attachment 342413
So since they've got to come back with the bearers anyway, I'll get them to chuck a spare board on the back of the truck, problem solved. Now I just need to find a 1p piece and Bob's your uncle.
Haha, I love the way they say if the hole falls out you can glue the hole back in ^_^

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is it built yet ?
In a manner of speaking. Still need to felt the roof and reinforce the hinges and hasp with coach bolts but the rest of it's done. Back wall is nicely reinforced to take the shed shackle. Might get a chance to finish it tomorrow but I've got a three year old's birthday party to think about.

Top Bottom