Hole in rim of SLR1 wheel rim - leaking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks. This is a tubeless set up, so no innertube. I should have included that snippet in my post.
Should have spotted that :blush:.

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks folks for your advice. The problem is fixed now.
To summarise the problem and the solution : I had just fitted a new tyre and successfully got it seated and inflated and with sealant inserted. It stayed that way for 15 minutes or so. Then suddenly I heard a pop and all the air came gushing out of that hole. After a long day fighting stubborn tyres, I gave up for the day!
Having slept on it I decided I had no other option but to remove the tyre that I had spent best part of the previous day mounting, and inspected the rim tape. This was the original Giant tape, and had survived a previous tyre replacement. I soon found that the tape had blown out at one of the spoke holes. Fortunately I had a new reel of Schwalbe Rim Tape so I replaced it - with a double layer! Remounted the tyre and voila!

At least I was able to learn from it so replacing the rear tyre was not quite so eventful. And I now have a sturdy pair of 28mm Conti GP5000 TLs (tubeless) with Orange sealant (With the previous tyres, the Stans just kept gushing ! )

I use stans tape, two layers if I want to use higher pressure 85psi +. Alot of manufacturers use cheap thin rim tape which cant take alot of pressure.

I know you are supposed to use lower psi for tubeless but on some occasions when the road is super smooth higher pressure is beneficial for outright speed

I did consider the race sealant, but it looks a little too claggy for me.
It isn’t particularly claggy.

I would not be able to use a syringe to insert the sealant
That’s exactly what I have done, it’s no problem at all.

and it would probably block up the valve if inserted that way.
No it doesn’t.

Mounting the final section of tyre with the sealant already in would be next too impossible for me. And extremely messy.

Yes, you’d be right about that. The main difference in the Race sealant and the white bottle stuff, is that the Race sealant has twice the concentration of sealant particles in it, it’s not more claggy, but it does work much better, as long as the side walls don’t get cut.

OP
OP
C

Cayenne

It isn’t particularly claggy.

The main difference in the Race sealant and the white bottle stuff, is that the Race sealant has twice the concentration of sealant particles in it, it’s not more claggy, but it does work much better, as long as the side walls don’t get cut.

I based my decision on a few review tests which raised those issues, so not first hand. It is great to get feedback from an actual user. Thank you.
I got so frustrated with the leak that never sealed, I thought I would go belt and braces and change the tyre and sealant from my previous set up.
This is the second new tyre I have fitted to the front. The original Gavias got punctured on my first ride out on the bike when it was new. The back sealed, but the front persisted in gushing sealant on pretty much every ride. It would not last long and would stop again after a few minutes, but would start again after a few more miles. I got to call it "Old unFaithful"!
So in January this year I changed the front tyre to a Schwalbe Pro 1. It lasted until the second ride out and got the same problem. I would have tried a different sealant and persisted with the tyre until I sustained damage to the side wall so I felt it best to scrap and replace.
I am now on the Conti GP5000TLs - and Orange sealant. It is early days yet, but so far so good.

I was disappointed that the Schwalbe Pro 1 was not sturdier. I see that they have now brought out a replacement which has better puncture resistance...

Top Bottom