Holiday ideas, southern Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clog

No need to go very far from Rosslare. Just head 1 hour up the road to the Wexford/Carlow/wWicklow border area. Plenty of good cycling and hill walking around Mount Leinster/Wicklow hills. Only about an hour from Dublin as well if you fancy a trip to the city.

classic33

Leg End Member
Connemara.

Gods front garden.. Beautiful mountains, National Park and great fishing but even better Guinness. Bring a coat mind.. Its been pissing here every day
North of the N7/M7 though.

tyred

Legendary Member
Connemara.

Gods front garden.. Beautiful mountains, National Park and great fishing but even better Guinness. Bring a coat mind.. Its been pissing here every day

And if you're in Connemara, you may as well visit Westport and Achill island...

I love live traditional music scene in Westport and it's a very picturesque and historical town. Achill has just about ever possible type of scenery - it's Ireland or Scotland condensed into a tiny area.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I lived in Ireland (Dublin) for 10 years, we spent a lot of weekends in Kinsale, just south of Cork, lovely place, and good hotels, B&B, holiday cottages, and camping in the area, and easy to get to from Rosslare. As a few others have mentioned, Westport is nice, and good for exploring the west coast. The Wicklow hills are okay, but not stunning in the same way as the Scottish Highlands are, but good walking and cycling, and as they don't really cover much area, you can have a bit of the ride in the hills, and some flat sections as well.

avsd

Guru
West Cork/Kerry is great. Look at the Wild Atlantic Way website. Just done a week in Connemara and only got wet one day. Don't let the forecast scare you. Best route to Connemara is up toward Dublin and then head out the motorway to Galway or Sligo on N6/N5. The motorway network has tolls but good for covering the distances.

MarkF

Guru
burn-at-stake.jpg

^_^Yeah I know, but they were formative experiences, rain, rain, rain, boggy marsh "beaches", then more rain, ok It was mostly Dundalk and County Louth but wet and cold and miserable is how I identify Ireland. My parents saved up and took me to Torremolinos when I was 12, it was like a gateway to heaven. ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
^_^Yeah I know, but they were formative experiences, rain, rain, rain, boggy marsh "beaches", then more rain, ok It was mostly Dundalk and County Louth but wet and cold and miserable is how I identify Ireland. My parents saved up and took me to Torremolinos when I was 12, it was like a gateway to heaven. ^_^
I got sunburnt! But that was back the West.

U

User32269

I love live traditional music scene in Westport and it's a very picturesque and historical town.

Westport is a great place! Climb Croagh Patrick, music and Guinness in Matt Malloy's then get blown along the wild beach!
If I remember correctly the Garda station is painted pink....class!

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
Westport is a great place! Climb Croagh Patrick, music and Guinness in Matt Mallory's then get blown along the wild beach!
If I remember correctly the Garda station is painted pink....class!
Westport.jpg

Do you want the Superintendents number?

U

User32269

F#+*¥n Guinness!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom