Holiday suggestions please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mrs Gti has been on at me for months about using some of my 399,207 Air France/KLM air miles for a nice holiday. The trouble is, I'm completely un-interested in hot sunny places as I travel to them on business and would rather be in Scotland for a holiday where the water is clean and it's cool and fresh.

Can anybody suggest somewhere not too hot, with nice beaches, decent food and reasonable hotels that's not more than 3-4 hours flying time away? It's going to be July or August so places like the Med will be too hot and humid for an enjoyable holiday. If there was decent cycling there, so much the better as I can just about manage half a day on a beach before I'm going out of my mind with boredom.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Cyprus. Got back from my 6th time there last Wednesday and have to say it is a magnificent place and the cycling is superb. Not too hot with a cooling breeze. They drive on OUR side of the road, nearly everyone speaks English and you can use a British plug! I cycle up into the Troodos mountains and the road surface is excellent. Got many rides on Garmin Connect (look up Trackhypedoula) and I'd recommend them all. Just go to Cyprus, it's great.

And as we once came across something 'unusual' one time we were up a hill on our bikes, you'll smell a very odd odour in the air when up in the mountains in Cyprus on your bike. You know how your senses are heightened when you exercise, well you will not be able to avoid the scent of something considered 'illegal' in this country. And Cyprus too as it happens. But many farmers donate some of their land to cultivate Sativa or Indica on their land.

All very pleasant.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice idea Paul but I go there on business and it's a bit touristy for my taste. I do agree though, it's nice and last time there I had the best steak and wine ever in Limassol. The whole island has a unique smell of herbs and spices, which gave rise to the chypre (Cyprus in French) family of perfumes.

How about the Adriatic coast? Anybody been there?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Denmark is a great place to chill out as long as you avoid the cities... though even then it's a different pace.
Then if you need culture you're never far away. [Some of the Viking tombs are incredible].
Relaxed cycling too, you can even keep up with the cars [50kph on country single carriageway roads].

Or Mrs G could go off on a round the world air ticket for a month and let you do some serious pedalling.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Mrs Gti has been on at me for months about using some of my 399,207 Air France/KLM air miles for a nice holiday. The trouble is, I'm completely un-interested in hot sunny places as I travel to them on business and would rather be in Scotland for a holiday where the water is clean and it's cool and fresh.

Can anybody suggest somewhere not too hot, with nice beaches, decent food and reasonable hotels that's not more than 3-4 hours flying time away? It's going to be July or August so places like the Med will be too hot and humid for an enjoyable holiday. If there was decent cycling there, so much the better as I can just about manage half a day on a beach before I'm going out of my mind with boredom.

The Midi-Pyrenees area of Southern France.

Not as hot as it could be, always a cooling breeze as it's close to the Pyrenees, brilliant cycling and easily within reach of either Toulouse or Carcassonne.

Great idea BUT it's a tad more than 3-4 hours flying time! ;)

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er, guys, this is supposed to be a family holiday so any cycling that happens must look coincidental, if you get my drift.

I like all the ideas so far. Keep 'em coming!

Arch

Married to Night Train
If it were me, I'd be fancying Scandinavia or The Netherlands, even just Normandy...

The only place further afield I've had a hankering to visit is Cuba, but that's a bit far and a bit hot.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
How about The Azores - Not far, but no cheap flight alternatives so your airmiles would be well spent.

Meets all your criteria and there's rides to be done with bikes provided.

Top Bottom