Holland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
We are in holland for the weekend and cant believe the cycle paths here they are like mini road along side the road , how cool is that!!! Keeping the cyclist and other traffic apart. Shame England doesn't adopt more of these types of cycle paths

Gooner Mad Dog

Wherever you go in Holland cyclist is highest priority, country roads, towns and villages.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We are in holland for the weekend and cant believe the cycle paths here they are like mini road along side the road , how cool is that!!! Keeping the cyclist and other traffic apart. Shame England doesn't adopt more of these types of cycle paths

Glad to hear that, we are cycling to amsterdam in june, really looking forward to it.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident

Sadly in this country we cant afford to have decent roads to start with never mind a second one running alongside.
As like most things we in this country invented roads (just like we invented gravity and time) and we did such a good job we made to many, so now we are edging towards third world status our roads are a luxury we can no longer keep up full maintenance with .
Went through a pot hole the other day and thought i was never coming out the other side it was that big

e-rider

crappy member
I would add for anyone cycling in the Netherlands for the first time - the numbering system of the cycleways takes a bit of time to get the hang of, and also it's amazing how much time you spend checking the route and turning at junctions etc.; this leads to a lower average speed than normal. Last year on a cycling holiday in Netherlands we had trouble avaeraging more than 13 mph whereas in the UK on a typical ride I would avaerage 16 mph. Something to consider. The winds can be awful too.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Wherever you go in Holland cyclist is highest priority, country roads, towns and villages.
that goes for the whole of the Netherlands!
:huh:?

e-rider

crappy member
Interesting, I didn't know that. The name Holland is widely used to mean the same as the Netherlands, but that apparently annoys some Dutch people.

Yes, because more than half the population are not from Holland. It' like using East Anglia to describe England. It's very odd that a lot of people call it Holland - I think the country is made up of about 5 'regions' with Holland being one of them - I'm no expert though - I'm sure google could tell you exactly!

loadz

5 of us had 4 days across there last year. Got the ferry from north shields to imjuden(sp) and basically cycled north to the island of texel then carried on around the huge inland sea.Had a cracking time. Always protected from the traffic. Really scenic as well,one of the highlights was cycling across a 20 mile long dyke. You even get cars and lorrys on there tooting there horns in support at you.Plenty of places to stop for a bite to eat and a pint(or just a pint :smile: )ended up in Amsterdam for the last night then back to the ferry for mid afternoon the following day.cracking time!!

f9cbae2c.jpg

d9ec5cb7.jpg

14e35956.jpg

Attachments

• f9cbae2c.jpg
    f9cbae2c.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 39
  • d9ec5cb7.jpg
    d9ec5cb7.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 14e35956.jpg
    14e35956.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 39

Batmancaver

I'm thinking of taking the family to the Netherlands this summer. That'll be me, the wife and two boys (8 & 10).
We need to trial the boys first but reckon they would achieve 20-30 miles a day (they love cycling). I might be slower as I'll have panniers and a trailer!

Can anyone recommend some good cycling guide books and maps to use and any trip tips as well?

Cheers,
Karl

Top Bottom