UK weather is just like Holland, says Dan Joyce of Cycling UK..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
20220527_172640.jpg

(From the latest edition of Cycling UK magazine).

Really, Dan? Can I assume you are based in SE England? I can assure you that the weather in north west Scotland is far removed from the weather in London, or Holland. There's even a big difference in the weather between Glasgow and Edinburgh, 50 miles apart.
Claims like this just shoot the credibility of the rest of the message to bits.

Sallar55

Veteran
Does he not know that the UK is a car based society, he should be writing about how we rid ourselves of the big out of town shopping centres.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Does he not know that the UK is a car based society
It's hard to say from that snippet of the article, but I'm guessing that's the point he's trying to make 👍
In the 70s we were similar, but The Netherlands made decisions then to move more to cycling, rather than the UK who moved to 2+ cars per household. If we had an environmental poilcy back in those days, maybe the cycling infrastructure in the UK would be much better nowadays :rolleyes:
& here in the flatlands of East Yorkshire, I would imagine the weather is very similar to Netherlands, if maybe a degree or two cooler. But being flat, there's too often no shelter from the wind :sad:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've lived and cycled in East Anglia, South West England and the Netherlands. I'd say he is spot on.

I remember the painful transition in Groningen from being car centred to cycling/walking, and have experienced a reminder in the last week that strong winds there are harder to deal with than rain and Devon hills.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've lived and cycled in East Anglia, South West England and the Netherlands. I'd say he is spot on.

East Anglia, SW England, and Holland are a very long way from NW Scotland, and even northern parts of England. Which was the whole point of my post, really.... But thanks for confirming that southerners forget there is life north of Watford.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
European wind speed map.

View attachment 646542
Average annual rainfall in european cities -

View attachment 646543

So Glasgow 33% wetter and a lot windier.

I think @Brandane has a point.

Really? Looks like Holland has weather fairly typical of the UK.

Top Bottom