Hollow Head Had Hidden Hoard. Hurrah!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Lovely puns, one and all.
When we get this machine, my first repair will be these split sides...

Do I recall @colly being in the sewing trade. Maybe he could pipe up with suggestions for up-thread dilemma, now that SWMBO will be making me a lycra bodysuit...

colly

Re member eR
Industrial sewing machines. All sorts available and it comes down to horses for courses and how deep is your pocket.
Pfaff, Singer, Tysew, Juki, Brother, Global..........and more.
I started with an old Singer Flatbed machine which is not ideal for upholstery but it served me well for a number of years until I bought a new Global walking foot machine. I've had it for maybe 20 years now and while it's not a top make of machine it's done sterling service.
If it's a secondhand machine you are after you can pick a decent machine up quite cheaply but if it comes from a private sale and you have a problem with it getting it fixed might prove costly.
You would pay more from a company selling s/h machines but you would have some peace of mind.
A few years ago I almost bought a post bed, twin needle feed, machine off a private seller who advertised on gumtree. Almost but not quite. I was just about to go away on holiday and she wanted it out within a day or so. Shame because they don't aften come up for sale s/h.

Will you be using it @woodenspoons ?

If it's puns you are after I would suggest you put your foot down and don't let the tension get to you. Don't get needled and you will be bobbin along no problem.

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Will you be using it
Thanks @colly. I may get a look-in now and then. I have made a few game bags, duffels and the like by hand with sail cloth, and knife sheaths, tool covers and tool bags in leather, for my own use, but never used a machine. My other half is very handy with the Bernina 807 we have, but it's not robust enough for thicker material.
The idea would be to get a single stitch machine secondhand with some warranty from a reseller company.
What do you make @colly ?

colly

Re member eR
Thanks @colly. I may get a look-in now and then. I have made a few game bags, duffels and the like by hand with sail cloth, and knife sheaths, tool covers and tool bags in leather, for my own use, but never used a machine. My other half is very handy with the Bernina 807 we have, but it's not robust enough for thicker material.
The idea would be to get a single stitch machine secondhand with some warranty from a reseller company.
What do you make @colly ?

I use my machine for sewing associated with upholstery. Sewing up the various parts of the chair or sofa, cushions etc very occasionally loose covers. There are a good few places to check out for secondhand machines so you stand a good chance of getting what you need.:okay:
Just make sure you get a machine with a single phase motor. ^_^

Edit: And a machine table.

The first machine I ever used was a domestic Frister and Rossmann. It did pretty well considering the use it had in my inexperienced hands.
The electric motor was about the size of an large egg cup. The motor on my Global machine is about 8''in dia by 13'' . 1 or 1,5 HP I think. :smile:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
If they are not current notes the bank will still take them and exchange them .
Last ones went out "of date" this month.

Top Bottom