Hollowtech 2 Gap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
I've just had my cranks changed due to a failure in the old ones. Got the bike back today and noticed a gap between the crank and BB. Now there could easily have always been a gap there but I don't remember it and wonder if some spacers should have been put in (between the BB and the frame)?

Hollowtech 2 Crank.jpg

simon.r

Person
Is the gap the same all the way round? It's probably the angle of the photo, but it looks as if it may be cross-threaded?

If I was fitting that I think a thorough clean of the bottom bracket shell, plenty of grease and a reasonably determined pull on the spanner would mean no gap.

The other possibility is that the bb shell needs facing.

alicat

Legendary Member
I agree it looks cross threaded. My bike has a gap between the cranks and the Hollowtech bottom bracket but it looks even, unlike yours.

I would go back to the shop and get them to refit the crank in your presence.

Depending on the model there should be a small O ring between the crank and the bearing -this prevents the cranks moving about on the axle.

It may be only just bigger than the diameter of the axle - so take the crank off and make sure it is there.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Depending on the model there should be a small O ring between the crank and the bearing -this prevents the cranks moving about on the axle.

It may be only just bigger than the diameter of the axle - so take the crank off and make sure it is there.
Is the O ring part of the crank or the BB?

Top Bottom