Hollowtech II widget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Anyone feeling nostalgic for cotter pins?
Nope. Because a) I'm too young to remember them :girl: and b) I've seen a penny farthing lose a crank going down Reigate Hill.

400bhp

Guru
The widget help stops the crank working loose and falling off.

Yes, that's what I was led to believe. It didn't stop my crank arm falling off though. The bit simply sheared in two. I suppose it could have been holding the crank in place for a while but I doubt it.

NO. I had to get hold of some recently. My LBS only had a few in stock, and they were all slightly the wrong size. It turns out there are several different lengths available. So even back in the "good old days", nothing was standard. And modern cotter pins seem to be cheap tat which won't stand up to the abuse with a hammer that ones 35 years ago did.

swansonj

Guru
until your hamfisted younger brother bashes the threads without a protective nut on his bike and then realises so steals the ones from your bike. over 30 years ago now and i still haven't exacted revenge.
Those were the days, when you had to hit bits of your bike with a hammer to try to make them stay together. None of this poncing around with overtensioning the preload or little plastic top hats....

betty swollocks

large member
Take the whole chainset assembly out i.e. remove l/h crank and chainset and b/b axle and give the whole lot a jolly good clean, including inside the b/b shell.
Re-assemble using loads of good quality grease, put l/h crank on again, preload the bearings with the pre-load tool and then, ensuring you have that little shim in place, do up those two crank bolts a little at a time, alternating between the two.
15 mins, job done and noise gone - hopefully!

winjim

Smash the cistern
It is but I thought TC was on about the little plastic hook/wafer that sits between the open aspect of the crank where the bolts thread through.

If it is then sorry, I've always wondered what it did as well.
Mine snapped off yonks ago and I've never missed it. I think it's just there to make sure you get the crank on straight, which you can do by eye with the splines.

No, but I have for square taper.

I got a Hewitt a while ago and I rather wish that I'd been talked through the pros and cons of these things.

I am afraid I can't see any great advantage and lots of disadvantages.

Yes a square taper needs beefier tools but you very rarely need to change the thing.

If you were off on a long/longish tool you could always put a new one in for the hell of it just to be sure.

Cheap and simple.

Top Bottom