Home BEV Chargers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
I don't think that cars can access details on agile tariffs, though, should you go for one. Which would be a good idea if you have an electric car and don't need to charge it every night.

Ok I have no idea what you are getting at now and we've had an EV as our main family car since 2015, so 7 years now.

In the last 7 yeads 99% of EV charging has been done on E7 rates, so cheap night time electricity. You don't need a smart meter or smart charger to access E7 rates, they have been around forever, well since electric radiators anyways.

I suspect you may have grounds to go for a 'miss selling' claim if you got a 'smart charger' installed because someone told you that was the only way to access non standard rate electricity.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I suppose one added feature of the smart chargers would be the Vehicle to Grid (V2G) capability that some have

CXRAndy

Guru
Ok I have no idea what you are getting at now and we've had an EV as our main family car since 2015, so 7 years now.

In the last 7 yeads 99% of EV charging has been done on E7 rates, so cheap night time electricity. You don't need a smart meter or smart charger to access E7 rates, they have been around forever, well since electric radiators anyways.

I suspect you may have grounds to go for a 'miss selling' claim if you got a 'smart charger' installed because someone told you that was the only way to access non standard rate electricity.
There are EV charging rates now. You can get 4,5, 5.5p per kW for 4/5/6 hours. Economy 7 tariffs aren't that cheap these days

CXRAndy

Guru
Wahoo, they've arrived

Zappi 3ph
20220125_100938.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Thread resurrection ! Dipping my toes into the EV world here . Would have thought choosing a charger would be confusing ! Anyways taking on board some of the comments . A big standard charger is probably all you need if you can set a timer on it or the car .
Smart chargers come into their own , when/if you want to automatically charge at specific times or scenarios .
Zappi seems the obvious if you have solar , waiting on some quotes currently .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Had a few quotes now and Octopus seem cheaper than the local installers ?! Was going to go Ohme but I’m now tending to Zappi as I can pin lock it . Also will be trying for the grant which is £400 . Anyway still a moot point as garage not been back in touch this week .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Had a few quotes now and Octopus seem cheaper than the local installers ?! Was going to go Ohme but I’m now tending to Zappi as I can pin lock it . Also will be trying for the grant which is £400 . Anyway still a moot point as garage not been back in touch this week .

Grant awarded but not going with the Zappi now. Going to fit the charger in my garage and use a longer tethered cable . Neater ! Will now speak to the installer before the go ahead and see if it can be wired up to not drain my solar battery storage ! Seems to be an issue with all of them !

CXRAndy

Guru
Not what I read ? Zappi still will drain the battery ?

The solution seems straight forward

With a DC coupled battery (where the PV panels and battery storage only have one inverter) then to stop the zappi draining the battery during normal (ECO+) solar charging you need to set a small Export Margin. Set the Export Margin to 50W and the battery should take priority over the zappi or eddi

CXRAndy

Guru
My brother in-law just installed his Zappi Charger. I gave him a hand setting it up with the settings.

He also has solar and battery storage. I gave him a spare CT clamp for him to install on his system at a later date.

At the moment he has a hybrid car so is happy for the car to use up the house storage and let the house battery recharge on cheap overnight tariff.

Come summer he will have sorted the settings to suit his needs

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The solution seems straight forward

With a DC coupled battery (where the PV panels and battery storage only have one inverter) then to stop the zappi draining the battery during normal (ECO+) solar charging you need to set a small Export Margin. Set the Export Margin to 50W and the battery should take priority over the zappi or

My brother in-law just installed his Zappi Charger. I gave him a hand setting it up with the settings.

He also has solar and battery storage. I gave him a spare CT clamp for him to install on his system at a later date.

At the moment he has a hybrid car so is happy for the car to use up the house storage and let the house battery recharge on cheap overnight tariff.

Come summer he will have sorted the settings to suit his needs

To be honest we won’t be charging the car every night and if we did it would be very little . It might not be a big deal on the battery . However , currently it seems daft to use solar to charge on IO when you get twice as much for exporting your excess !

CXRAndy

Guru
To be honest we won’t be charging the car every night and if we did it would be very little . It might not be a big deal on the battery . However , currently it seems daft to use solar to charge on IO when you get twice as much for exporting your excess !

I'm a little out of date on export prices. What figures do you get currently?

Top Bottom