home built trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starhawk

It keeps the seat and peddles lower to the ground and keeps the centre of gravity low, that's why the cross bar is angled forward so wont foul my legs when cycling :thumbsup:

I was thinking more about the transfer of load, the low center could then be achieved by bending the crossbar up but that would mean having a joint midways to the ends of the crossbar, I saw a factory-built example with the joints welded yesterday, not a nice sight! So aesthetically you have achieved a better solution. Good luck with the rest of the build

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I was thinking more about the transfer of load, the low center could then be achieved by bending the crossbar up but that would mean having a joint midways to the ends of the crossbar, I saw a factory-built example with the joints welded yesterday, not a nice sight! So aesthetically you have achieved a better solution. Good luck with the rest of the build
Like I've said I'm no engineer, I'm building this from plans that someone else has designed, many people have used these plans with good results :smile:

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Today I have adjusted and fully welded up the head tubes, I also capped off the top of the backrest, at this point I ran out of gas, so a trip to Toolstation after the school run in the morning. Tomorrow I'm going to start making the steering arms :thumbsup:
010.jpg
009.jpg
011.jpg
014.jpg

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
as an aside...that's a serious quality street habit you have mate...have you sought counselling?:wacko:
that collection has taken a few years to accumulate, mostly Christmas presents from family, you should see my butter tub hoard :rofl:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
that collection has taken a few years to accumulate, mostly Christmas presents from family, you should see my butter tub hoard :rofl:
They all say that...it's not my fault, it's family members.....I can do it on my own.......Utterly Buttery habits don't just go away...we are here to help you mate:stop: Just talk to us........

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
It looks like you've given yourself a falling rate rear suspension geometry.
:blink: sorry you've completely lost me

I see that you have placed the crossbar above the frame, wouldn't it be better to have it under?
Varies from manufacturer to manufacturer

Many of the early models such as the Trice had this configuration.

Theoretically this geometry makes the trike lower and hence more stable. but places more stress on the welds

Night Train

Maker of Things
:blink: sorry you've completely lost me
A falling rate suspension is where the spring rate appears to reduce as the suspension is compressed. This is caused by the geometry of the swing arm causing the spring mounting point to move in such a way that it compresses the spring a smaller distance the further into its travel it goes.

In other words. When the suspension is unloaded a small amount of movement acts on the spring to compress it a certain amount. However, once the suspension has been loaded further, the same movement in the suspension causes a smaller amount of compression in the spring then before. So the spring feels softer the more it is compressed.

This is not good as it allows the suspension to collapse the spring in full compression without any further load.

The suspension should really be a rising rate so it gets stiffer as you load it.

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
So I've welded the arms to the front hubs, I was in two minds whether or not to fit front brakes, thinking they would just rip the arms off in a high speed stop! but I've had them in the vice and swung on them with no movement ^_^ so think I will fit them, will be safer too
004.jpg
005.jpg

Top Bottom