home built trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trikes need two wheel trailers.

When the single wheel trailer corners, the trailer tips in alignment with the rear frame of the cycle. On a trike the rear frame stays upright. The trailer still tilts, but puts stress onthe frame, in particular the pivot for the rear triangle

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Trikes need two wheel trailers.

When the single wheel trailer corners, the trailer tips in alignment with the rear frame of the cycle. On a trike the rear frame stays upright. The trailer still tilts, but puts stress onthe frame, in particular the pivot for the rear triangle
This is my trailer
003.jpg

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Made the track rod the other day, just finished the tabs to bolt it to the steering arms this morning,
I will weld and bolt it together tonight after the kids go to bed, need space in the garden to test it before I weld it fully
006.jpg
005.jpg

lovely weather today :sun:

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Steering tabs welded, Track rod attached and adjusted, one ball joint is left hand thread whilst the other is right handed, so to adjust it I just have it roll the bar back or forward
007.jpg
008.jpg

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Also made the handle bars, Cut two MTB stems down, and cut a kids handle bar in half, then welded them together ^_^
two mountin bike head stems.jpg
014.jpg
013.jpg
015.jpg

starhawk

!!Beware of that washing machine!!
No Ackerman? How would that affect the steering, or is it just a little more wear on the tires. See that it uses direct steering not a fan of that, seems very awkward to me. I wonder about those hooks on the steering arms, are they intended for anything else beside mounting the fenders?

Wobbly John

Veteran
I think the in-board set of the tie-rod pivots gives the Ackerman steering. I'd guess that the 'hooks' on the stering arms are for mounting caliper brakes.

I'm makinga similar trike but making slower progress:

P1070542_zps74308331.jpg

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Its got Ackerman, just doesn't show it well in the shot,
No fenders planed at the moment,
Yes those 'hooks' are for mounting caliper brakes:smile:

starhawk

Well mine has drumbrakes so I didn't count on calipers, then the sturdy hooks make sense. I have fenders on the front wheels but I am planning to remove them, they are in the way when you need to go in reverse. I don't ride much in rain anyway, I will however keep the fender on the rear wheel.
Interesting to see the build progress and the different solutions, even though I would for example have changed the steering to indirect, makes more sense! even though it is more complicated

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Well mine has drumbrakes so I didn't count on calipers, then the sturdy hooks make sense. I have fenders on the front wheels but I am planning to remove them, they are in the way when you need to go in reverse. I don't ride much in rain anyway, I will however keep the fender on the rear wheel.
Interesting to see the build progress and the different solutions, even though I would for example have changed the steering to indirect, makes more sense! even though it is more complicated

I think I may fit a fender on the rear. The indirect steering is more complicated, this is ment to be a very basic/cheap build hence no expensive drum/hub/disc front brakes,
not planning on taking this on the road or doing any sort of long mileage on it :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
On my Ratrike the track is fairly narrow, and I have long arms, so I am able to reach the outside of the wheels to reverse, despite having chunky wooden mudguards on.
I do like having mudguards as my first time out, on grass, I ran over some hidden dog poo with the right front wheel and got splatted in the face! xx(:cursing:

Drum brakes are a bit more fiddly to sort out, especially trying not to have an asymmetric layout as many brakes, drum and disc, don't come in left and right hand versions.
I am designing mine around having a front and rear SA drum backplate, as they are handed differently. If it doesn't work out then I might make my own and have twin leading shoes. It then becomes quite a major engineering project.

Top Bottom