home built trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Drum brakes are a bit more fiddly to sort out, especially trying not to have an asymmetric layout as many brakes, drum and disc, don't come in left and right hand versions.
I am designing mine around having a front and rear SA drum backplate, as they are handed differently. If it doesn't work out then I might make my own and have twin leading shoes. It then becomes quite a major engineering project.
:blink: anything for an easy life me :whistle:

byegad

Legendary Member
The SA Drums on my QNT are really good, my other two trikes have BB7 discs and they are good too. But the Kettwiesel originally had BB5s which were truly awful.

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
The trike had been put on hold for the last few weeks, but tonight I got to make a start on the crank/bottom bracket, this is about as far as I got as some idiot left the gas on, on the welder..... and as I'm the only person who uses it I have no one to blame but myself :banghead: Gonna have to do some non welding stuff till I can get around to getting some more
003.jpg

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Is that advisable? I mean all BB I have seen is firmly welded to at least one tube, probably to take the strain
The BB will be able to slide up and down the boom then will be firmly bolted into place once the desired distance from the seat is found

Night Train

Maker of Things
Is that advisable? I mean all BB I have seen is firmly welded to at least one tube, probably to take the strain
The BB slides on the boom instead of the boom and BB sliding inside another tube.

The card is needed as the bracket will shrink tight when welded so the card adds clearance. Without the card the bracket will be so tight on the boom as to not need bolting up.
DAMHIKT:blush:

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
The BB slides on the boom instead of the boom and BB sliding inside another tube.

The card is needed as the bracket will shrink tight when welded so the card adds clearance. Without the card the bracket will be so tight on the boom as to not need bolting up.
DAMHIKT:blush:
Thanks, couldn't put it better myself... I mean it, I've got it all going on in my head but when it comes to explaining things... well... words fail me :wacko:

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
trike 006.jpg
Well I very nearly gave up on the trike, due to bad weather, house maintaince and some long hours at work it just kept getting put off. But the last few days I got a few more likes on this thread and a very encouraging PM :shy:
002.jpg

So this morning I decided to dust it off and get some more done,

My 7yr old got a new bike for his birthday and didn't like the MTB tyres on it so he pilfered the trikes,
001.jpg

It was up on the table on its side with no tyres on hidden under a load of crap, but within a few hours I had drilled the holes to clamp the crank on and mounted the front brakes, I found a few lengths of chain in my box of stuff. I then went a few laps round the garden but that wasn't enough so I attached the trailer and went around the park at the bottom of the road with my 2yr old:wahhey:

SWSteve

Guru
Loved reading this thread. Cracking looking trike, one question though, do the bars feel wide apart when you're traveling? As they look like you would have arms out as far as possible

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
It's not to bad, I've got them out quite far as its turns quite sharp and the handle ends up right under my backside, just waiting for a video up load to youtube, watch this space........

Top Bottom