Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
back on the daughters 'newbuild' house alterations

This time channelling a slot for water and electric in the poured floor. I wanted to be careful as not to damage the DMP below-successful

Slight change of plan, instead of plastic going with soldered copper, wrapped in Denso tape to give greater clearance

1000009924.jpg

1000009927.jpg

Last edited:
back on the daughters 'newbuild' house alterations

This time channelling a slot for water and electric in the poured floor. I wanted to be careful as not to damage the DMP below-successful

Slight change of plan, instead of plastic going with soldered copper, wrapped in Denso tape to give greater clearance

View attachment 720246

View attachment 720247

is their some city code you need to follow? how will you cover it? looks like a lot of work!

CXRAndy

Guru
You can do the wiring... you just need a Part P qualified electrician to check it and sign it off.

Trouble is finding one to agree to do that. I used to do all my own wiring when there was no need to get it signed off.

Update, I've made a little progress made up the copper pipes, applied Denso tape, refit to supply, everything works, so tomorrow will be closing up and concrete the hole over
1000009999.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Trouble is finding one to agree to do that. I used to do all my own wiring when there was no need to get it signed off.

my brother did his own wiring and didn't seem to have any trouble finding one to sign it off. He doesn't have any mates who are qualified electricians, so I presume he just called a local one.

CXRAndy

Guru
Unless the wiring is in a new extension to the property how would anyone know it was or wasn't signed off?

They wouldnt really. This is a newbuild we are modifying after completion. Re designing the kitchen, so many electric alterations, underfloor electric heating kitchen/diner

The Garage has gone from 16A supply to 100A with additional features, like EV charger, provision for solar and batteries

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Unless the wiring is in a new extension to the property how would anyone know it was or wasn't signed off?

My Dad is very vigilant about these things, and says no-one would notice but if there was a fire then you could be done for manslauther, even if your work wasn't the cause. I don't know how probably or true that might be

Alex321

Veteran
My Dad is very vigilant about these things, and says no-one would notice but if there was a fire then you could be done for manslauther, even if your work wasn't the cause. I don't know how probably or true that might be

Not true at all.

You can only be done for manslaughter if your actions or negligence caused or contributed to a death. If your work did not cause or contribute to the fire, then you have no liability.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We did have alot of trouble with the buyer's 'solicitor' for MIL's house over electrics and stuff. We just said, you are buying a 60's house, with all modifications and the conservatory done before all these new standards. They were upto 'standard' when fitted.

Everything was done by an electrician, but you don't want to look in the garage at all the 'official' bodging and cables everywhere - it was a nightmare - nothing labelled properly.

Fastpedaller

My Daughter bought a 1977 built house last August. The previous owner liked his sheds...... One has internal plasterboard lining! There was a certificate for the electrical installation on that shed but not the other, smaller shed. There was a question from the solicitor for the purchase... "do you want the electric to the smaller shed disconnected as there is no cert for it". Our response "don't worry... we'll get it checked ourselves".
I'm amazed that the emphasis on electrical checking seems to have been introduced alongside the widespread use of RCD protection - I'm not suggesting that isn't good, of course, but years ago we had ceramic fuses, no RCDs etc .... Which makes me wonder if there were many cases of electrocution?
There is a lot of emphasis on PATS testing - is that an example of 'work generating' ? If you look at the requirements, many businesses are told it's mandatory (when it isn't, for them anyway) n.b. Some have to have it of course.

CXRAndy

Guru
Any chance this should have been specified at build stage (having bought a new house myself) ?

What a good dad.

Trying to get big house builders to be flexible is nigh on impossible. Eg Despite Symphony supplying the kitchen units, you could not get the builders to change the worktop to a different Symphony worktop. They had a limited set of options and would not shift from it.

It's highly frustrating when adding extra electrics requires opening up either floors or plastered walls, when a little bit of flexibility would save so much time.

A little further, pipes now concrete covered in the floor

1000010017.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
is their some city code you need to follow? how will you cover it? looks like a lot of work!

There is no code I'm aware of for internal plumbing. I've been careful not to compromise the damp proof membrane, wrapped the copper pipes with protection, used insulation above also to give room for micro movement through expansion, contraction.

I pressured tested my pipework upto 12bar with a little rig I made. Left them a few hours to make sure joints were good

1000009978.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
This is my mates work on the house, he a joiner with 40 years experience.

New custom office desk and wardrobe, which my daughter designed with CAD

1000009996.jpg

1000009993.jpg

You may have noticed skirting is off. We took it all off 2days after completion. She is having oak flooring everywhere bar the kitchen/diner. Thats being tiled (by me)!

Top Bottom