Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
next up, repair of neighbor’s bad fence at my mother’s house. the bad fence that neighbor put up a long time ago, has come undone & I want to prop it back up as a temporary fix, because the right thing to do is replace that fence section with proper fence panels, but I can not do that in 1 hour

since I go check on Mom (200 miles from me) I have to spend most of my time with her, helping her with the list she makes for me

what I will have, is a cpl hours one morning before breakfast, maybe only 1 hour

I have some ideas cooking but am open to others

one of my brothers lifted it & flipped it over the other side, into the neighbor’s yard, which doesn’t solve the problem at all

that neighbor is gone & the house is empty

again I only have a cpl hrs maybe only 1 hour, before I have to deal w/ my mother

View attachment 725710

View attachment 725711

View attachment 725712

View attachment 725713

View attachment 725714

got it done but it took more than an hour & I'm sure the rest of that car*ppy old fence is gonna fail
fence up.jpg

from the vacant bldg side
fence 2.jpg

that post on the end was completed separated / rotted at the bottom so I used 2 metal bits & screws to keep it in place, then added a brace & staked the brace
fence metal.jpg

since I was alone I had to build up 1 piece at a time. basically built a free standing fence panel & attached the other parts to each side
fence 1.jpg

fence combo.jpg

the 2 new 2x4x8 pressure treated posts are in the ground about 8" & up against the neighbor concrete slab. the bottoms are secured in place & there are 2 braces for each so the fence panel can withstand strong wind
fence left.jpg

fence right.jpg

made & pounded in 4 2' stakes
fence joint.jpg

fence stake.jpg

the other white wood parts were scraps I found in my basement

this isn't going anywhere, any time soon
fence side view.jpg

Last edited:
replace 2 lamp switches for my elder motherly. her arthritic hands were having trouble w. the wheeled switches & one of them was faulty & tricky to get in the correct "on" position. now it's just a simple push button that she can manage
switch before.jpg

switch after.jpg

glad I had a cpl good small screw drivers
switch inside.jpg

installed 3 new smoke detectors at Mom's house too. embarrassed to say the condition of her previous detectors. there are 3 carbon monoxide detectors, but I'm thinking about replacing those too. we tested them & she knows what to do if they go off. evacuate &/or call 911
hallway.jpg

top floor.jpg

basement steps.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just curious if the paving stones were replaced with concrete footings? And the two piece support legs with 100-150mm square posts?

Not yet - we've technically gone over our boundary - the ground is solid, so I'll be keeping an eye on the levels before any more work. Loads of space underneath to add more supports. The original decking had probably 80mm legs (same as the current fence posts as those 'were' the legs). Didn't want too permanent - I'm aware it may settle, but I've enough access to jack it and replace the footings. Plan is to beef up the existing supports with large square posts.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Plumbing and lawnmower repairs

Fitted hot/cold into cabinet for daughter's new kitchen. A Qooker boiling tap tank is being fitted too, so had to keep pipework tight to one side.

20240413_153739.jpg

Husqvarna belt replacement and seat cut out replacement

1000011459.jpg

1000011457.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
that's an art! I heard plumbers don't solder connections anymore? but I think I see solder on yours?

Maybe for speed of work, they use plastic fittings or compression.

I prefer to solder where possible, but a little care with blowtorch for fire risk.

Which in this case was negligible because I dry fitted everything then built up and soldered the bits all together outside

would anyone know why does this valve leak from that center shaft going into the center of the fixture right above the red knob? is it a DIY or should I call a plumber? any chance it’s a simple washer? thank you in advance

IMG_8676.jpeg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
would anyone know why does this valve leak from that center shaft going into the center of the fixture right above the red knob? is it a DIY or should I call a plumber? any chance it’s a simple washer? thank you in advance

View attachment 728092

Not a plumber but had a similar looking valve on my cold water inlet . It’s a soldered connection , so not quite straight forward . DIY job , for some yes . Can you isolate the feed to it ? Defo looks like it’s leaking a bit .

silvervanplumberman

Über Member

View attachment 728092

View attachment 728092

Speaking as a plumber I’d replace it with a full bore lever valve. Gate valves in my experience have a tendency to fail in some way or another. But if you are looking for a DIY fix you will need to undo the nut immediately behind the red handle And put a couple of wraps of PTFE tape on the shaft, push it into the fitting as far as you can and re fit the nut. doesnt always work but most of the time it does.

Re: leaking valves, thanks guys, for me that means plumber ;-)

fwiw- for over a decade this valve drips a little when I first open it seasonally for my back patio hose. I open it all the way then close it a turn, it drips for a day then stops. Been meaning to replace it but I’ve been lazy

CXRAndy

Guru
Re: leaking valves, thanks guys, for me that means plumber ;-)

fwiw- for over a decade this valve drips a little when I first open it seasonally for my back patio hose. I open it all the way then close it a turn, it drips for a day then stops. Been meaning to replace it but I’ve been lazy

Be interesting to see if your plumber solders the new valve in place

Top Bottom