Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
had to build a newer basement window vent
View attachment 714503

View attachment 714504

View attachment 714505
this replaces a former unit made from scrapyard parts. hoping the louvers help to keep it operating thru the winter, except for maybe there worst days/weeks. the previous unit had to be closed up for months

disappointed the kid at HD couldn't cut the plywood, cuz the panel saw wasn't square. shudda gone to my store. I'll clean the basement of sawdust tomorrow :whistle:

if I paint the plywood side facing out, what color should I paint it? the last plywood had really darkened w/ age & seemed OK

finally painted the plywood. decent color match I think
1710772599195.png

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
After ruining the wood with some B&Q "teak oil", which turned out to be brown water-based dye - utter charlatans - I took the bench apart and got the belt sander on it. That was last October and I just stored the planks in the garage as there was no point in reassembling it before winter. Today, I bolted it back together. It'll go silver-grey again within months.

These reproductions (from gwrbenches.co.uk) are actually nothing like the originals; the planks are all the same size in these, but a real GWR bench has them in varying sizes. The originals don't have "made in England" cast into them, either.

Mine has oak planks for low maintenance and unlimited life, but that is an option. Normally they have painted softwood planks which need a lot of TLC.

20240322_161821.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
At what point did you curse yourself for choosing diagonals? :laugh:

I did a bathroom like that once. Never again. Every edge tile had to be cut on an electric tile cutter. They wouldn't snap cleanly at a 45 deg angle.

CXRAndy

Guru
Daughter is an interior designer, she wanted it. I tried to convince her of standard brick bond. Actually it does look good now we've cleaned up a little. We still have to grout, but it's tidy.

1000010967.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Tiles all grouted now, thank goodness. Sick of crawling around on my knees. Onto filling the holes I cut in the ceilings and walls for cable routing.

postman

Legendary Member
Mrs P has informed me nothing is going to be done by me this year.My recovery from cancer is more important.It seems talking to someone 25 years younger than me recovery is a long process.I am also thin king of hanging the bicycles up.I will ponder that one a bit longer.Stamina and energy being the problem.

Jameshow

Veteran
Mrs P has informed me nothing is going to be done by me this year.My recovery from cancer is more important.It seems talking to someone 25 years younger than me recovery is a long process.I am also thin king of hanging the bicycles up.I will ponder that one a bit longer.Stamina and energy being the problem.

What about an electric bike?

Little rides would be beneficial.

I did a lovely little ride to eccup resviour.

moving Son we discovered the antique bureau has a drawer w/ a damaged bottom. just replaced it. all squared up & secured w/ 4 small nails & sanded some rough edges. no glue
drawer bottom 2.jpg

drawer bottom 1.jpg

next up, repair of neighbor’s bad fence at my mother’s house. the bad fence that neighbor put up a long time ago, has come undone & I want to prop it back up as a temporary fix, because the right thing to do is replace that fence section with proper fence panels, but I can not do that in 1 hour

since I go check on Mom (200 miles from me) I have to spend most of my time with her, helping her with the list she makes for me

what I will have, is a cpl hours one morning before breakfast, maybe only 1 hour

I have some ideas cooking but am open to others

one of my brothers lifted it & flipped it over the other side, into the neighbor’s yard, which doesn’t solve the problem at all

that neighbor is gone & the house is empty

again I only have a cpl hrs maybe only 1 hour, before I have to deal w/ my mother

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

irw

Quadricyclist
next up, repair of neighbor’s bad fence at my mother’s house. the bad fence that neighbor put up a long time ago, has come undone & I want to prop it back up as a temporary fix, because the right thing to do is replace that fence section with proper fence panels, but I can not do that in 1 hour

since I go check on Mom (200 miles from me) I have to spend most of my time with her, helping her with the list she makes for me

what I will have, is a cpl hours one morning before breakfast, maybe only 1 hour

I have some ideas cooking but am open to others

one of my brothers lifted it & flipped it over the other side, into the neighbor’s yard, which doesn’t solve the problem at all

that neighbor is gone & the house is empty

again I only have a cpl hrs maybe only 1 hour, before I have to deal w/ my mother

View attachment 725710

View attachment 725711

View attachment 725712

View attachment 725713

View attachment 725714

What a weird fence. Can you not just screw it back in? Preferably with shorter screws!

What a weird fence. Can you not just screw it back in? Preferably with shorter screws!
thank you for taking a look

yeah it's bad. growing up, we had a really nice redwood fence for decades. after I moved out, no one really maintained it & it eventually rotted, fell apart & got hauled away. since then the neighbor to the right installed a very nice white vinyl fence. I don't know for sure, but this small section of crummy white lattice, was probably installed by that missing neighbor on the other side. I see supports on Mom's side, probably my late Father had a handyman do that

re: your question, that is tempting but it's such a crummy job & so floppy, so I'm expecting not to be able to do that. maybe I will find that I will be able to. just not sure

some ideas of my own include
  • some minor lumber additions as vertical & anti-leaning supports
  • or a cpl metal fence posts & large zip ties
I'm not sure how soft the ground is & I don't have a post hole digger, just a shovel

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Caravan decking was relocated home in January after getting rid of the van. Was going to leave it for whoever took the plot, but the caravan site were being funny (wanted a sale for a new deck at £££'s.

Got a dry spell, so almost finished.

Applied decking oil to the original framework that was about 20 years old.

20240331_131613.jpg

20240331_171316.jpg

20240331_171245.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Just curious if the paving stones were replaced with concrete footings? And the two piece support legs with 100-150mm square posts?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Best wishes for your recovery
I had planned to do some stuff this weekend but my artheritic thumb is now in a strap as its worse this year than normal so repointing walls and painting plans have been put on hold atm

Top Bottom