Home galvanisation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A neighbour has asked me to restore some garden tools that used to belong to her father. Most were no problem but the lawn rake has had it. I went to give her it back but she's asked me to clean it up and she'll use it as a garden ornament. It's heavily rusted and parts are quite fragile, so vigorous wire brushing is out. I can get the rust off by electrolysis but then a coat of Hammerite will look a bit yucky. So I was thinking of galvanising it. A quick google says I need Zinc Sulphate but this looks to be a bit difficult to get in powder form in a decent quantity as it's a health supplement. However, I can get Zinc Sulphate Heptahydrate https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164997828003?hash=item266aa30da3:g:evkAAOSwgZ1XtEi2 Is this ok to use in a tank with a battery charger to galvanise steel? If it works with the rake, I might try galvanising some of the metal roses I make.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Assuming you’ll be dissolving it in water then it should be fine, as the heptahydrate is just some water bound up in the crystals. Once dissolved in water it’ll be no different than if you’d used the anhydrous powder.

Top Bottom