Home time and thoughts of dinner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kirstie said:
In a vain hope to lose some weight before my brothers wedding just after christmas, I am doing 'slimming world' ...

Ahem........Kirstie, as you've posted pictures of yourself looking like a more sporting version of a supermodel, are you simply drawing attention to the fact that you are .42 grams above optimum weight for female Olympic athletes?

Patrick Stevens said:
Ahem........Kirstie, as you've posted pictures of yourself looking like a more sporting version of a supermodel, are you simply drawing attention to the fact that you are .42 grams above optimum weight for female Olympic athletes?

Thanks but I don't know which pictures you've been looking at!! I'm a stone overweight but disguise it well I guess.

U

User482

I bought a pollock from the farmers' market today. I'm pondering on how best to cook it - any tips from the collective?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:
I bought a pollock from the farmers' market today. I'm pondering on how best to cook it - any tips from the collective?

I'm intrigued by how one farms pollock. Is it free range, or battery pollock...:biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Self sufficiency night tonight.
So a tin of Campbell's veggie soup, couple of lumpy mashed tatties mixed in to thicken it and three or four grilled sausage dropped in, lovely.

(Sausage floater ??? 1st tried in Scotland)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch said:
I'm intrigued by how one farms pollock. Is it free range, or battery pollock...:biggrin:

Another of your witty spoonerisms, Arch?

I am a bit of a shining wit myself!!!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Elmer Fudd said:
Self sufficiency night tonight.
So a tin of Campbell's veggie soup, couple of lumpy mashed tatties mixed in to thicken it and three or four grilled sausage dropped in, lovely.

(Sausage floater ??? 1st tried in Scotland)

Elmer, you have immense skill at describing something that will taste lovely in a way that sounds awful...:biggrin:

Condensed soup is a great standby. I use it only slightly thinned down for a pasta sauce if I really can't be bothered to cook. Chicken is favourite, but mushroom would work well if you like that sort of thing (I don't!).

U

User482

Arch said:

Come to think of it, how does one farm bread or chocolate brownies, both of which were on sale too?

Kirstie - thanks for the tip - looks like any cod or haddock recipe will do.

Flying_Monkey said:
I was going to make celeriac soup tonight but my blender exploded the other day...

Yikes! Reminds me of when my Auntie Vera was making pea soup in her pressure cooker, and as the pressure was rising she decided to take the lid off and check it. The kitchen had to be redecorated afterwards, as the lumpy green column of pea soup which erupted from the pan got everywhere.

I also once tried to make banana smoothie in a food processor, rather than a blender, not realising that food processors aren't sealed properly. I drenched myself and the kitchen in milky banana, but it took an hour for me to stop laughing before I could clean it up.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:
Come to think of it, how does one farm bread or chocolate brownies, both of which were on sale too?

Kirstie - thanks for the tip - looks like any cod or haddock recipe will do.

Chocolate brownies are very difficult. Britain is at the northern extreme of their geographical range, and too cold a summer can ruin a crop, unless they are grown in polytunnels.

Bread's a bit more robust and native. There's even a wild form of small crusty seeded rolls, found in hedgerows.

I may, or may not, be making this up.

U

User482

Arch said:
Chocolate brownies are very difficult. Britain is at the northern extreme of their geographical range, and too cold a summer can ruin a crop, unless they are grown in polytunnels.

Bread's a bit more robust and native. There's even a wild form of small crusty seeded rolls, found in hedgerows.

I may, or may not, be making this up.

Thing is though, that as with wine, chocolate brownies should be an area of growth for the UK farming industry, what with climate change and all.

Sadly, bread may be restricted to the northern fringes of scotland.

Top Bottom