Home time and thoughts of dinner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Twenty Inch said:
You can eat them at any size. If they are staying small, it means that the seeds inside have not set, so the plant doesn´t bother growing a large fruit. If they are still growing, they will reach a size of between eight and ten inches in length, which is optimal. Powdery mildew will probably kill the plant off before then though.

Cheers! I gave them a go - roasted with olive oil and stuffed with sausage meat, garlic and apricots. Really nice.

They're actually pretty big already (10 inches) but not many seeds inside.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
BJB said:
Arch, how do you know?

*ducks and takes cover*

Grrr.

It was lucky I hadn't brought my knitting. Everthing else in there was wipe-cleanable, although npower may wonder why one corner of my leccy bill cheque is a bit greasy...

Twenty Inch, cheers for the tip on the squash. Roasting it yesterday was no sweat, because I was home early and as soon as I got in I bunged cubes of it, with some yellow pepper, red onion and courgette in my Remoska and then had my cup of tea and watched neighbours and then by the time I'd cooked the rice bit, it was all ready...

I've only used the neck of mine so far, when I get to the seed bit, can I dry and roast them like pumpkin seeds?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
How many meals are you reckoning to get out of them?

Ha, ha...

Really, it'll take me three goes to get through a whole squash. Leftovers and half tins of things, the joy of being single...

Arch said:
Ha, ha...

Really, it'll take me three goes to get through a whole squash. Leftovers and half tins of things, the joy of being single...

Hands up all those chaps who are tempted to move in with Arch to share a diet of roast squash seeds? :biggrin:

I suggest that "What do I do with a whole roast sirloin and a spare case of Croze Hermitage?" would be a tad more effective. :biggrin:;)

Tetedelacourse

Rhythm Thief said:
I made Pete's swede cous cous tonight. Delicious, at least until my girlfriend discovered a caterpillar in her portion. Not that it stopped me finishing it off.

Ha ha! Brilliant. That Pete's an odd ball eh?:biggrin::biggrin:

I had the worst tea I've eaten in years last night. Was supposed to be an lemon-scented asparagus and lemongrass risotto. It turned out like a plate of arborio rice soaked in rat piss. I couldn't finish it. Mrs Tete, despite being dedicated to a new diet, of which this is meant to be a part, asked halfway through if we could go and get chips instead. Naturally I denied her the right. After my last mouthful, about halfway through it, I declared that I never ever want to eat it again.xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

Still, at least Celtic won.

Patrick Stevens said:
Hands up all those chaps who are tempted to move in with Arch to share a diet of roast squash seeds? :biggrin:

I suggest that "What do I do with a whole roast sirloin and a spare case of Croze Hermitage?" would be a tad more effective. :biggrin:;)

[OT}
Sorry to hijack, Arch (although I got beaten to it by Patrick) ... Patrick, I got a half case of 2003 Nuits St George in Saturday and it is excellent. It deserves to be treated properly; I open it a minimum of 5 minutes before I need a drink.
[OT/]

I'm going to rustle up some pasta dish or other tonight. Last night it was home made fish cakes :biggrin:

In a vain hope to lose some weight before my brothers wedding just after christmas, I am doing 'slimming world' which is similar to a combination diet but not as strict. It's working OK so far. Anyway, I have a big problem with these slimming class things (think Peter Kaye and Little Britain skits - they're all true), and so went along with a lot of cynicism in mind. Anyway, it turns out that many of the other people there also snigger and take the piss behind the leaders back, and I've met some really top people there, so it's worth going along just to see them.

I don't really have a lot of weight to lose, but the majority of the people who go are really quite large. One woman I was talking to was about 20 stone, about 5'4" needed a walking stick to get around. I'd have said she was in her late 30s. So I was chatting to her and it turns out that *she's never cooked a meal from scratch in her life* All she can do is defrost frozen ready meals!! That's what she lives on!! I really couldn't believe it. Anyhow I've been sharing recipes with her and she seems to be getting on OK. Makes me wonder what people think 'food' is sometimes...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, today I managed not to coat my bag in dressing, which is an improvement. Going to a friend's house for supper, think we're having three courses and I'm not cooking, what luxury...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Tonight I am going to cook Lamb steaks with mustard mash, green beans and carrots. that should keep us going for a while.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Paulus said:
Tonight I am going to cook Lamb steaks with mustard mash, green beans and carrots. that should keep us going for a while.

Ooh, I've got some lamb in the freezer, steaks that were reduced to clear, better get it out tonight to defrost for supper tomorrow... Might curry it.

Just occured to me, I've had a meat free week so far. Not even opened a tin of tuna!

Top Bottom