Homemade Rear Fender?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zenroad

Has anyone ever fabricated their own rear fender from scrap plastic? I'd be itnerested in pics. I have a frame with no fender attachments on the seatstays or the chainstays. It can't be rocket science, eh?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Buy some p-clips and mount a regular fender.

There's no need to re-invent the wheel.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Buy some p-clips and mount a regular fender.

There's no need to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks, Vernon. I'd like to do just that, but my seatstays are wishbone type, so I don't know if p-clamps will work. I'll poke around and see what I can find. I know that Tubus makes a ton of little attachments in all sorts of configurations. I'll post pics of whatever I end up with.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Nice, roadrash. Thanks. I'm on a mountain bike. And it's going to have to tuck under a rear rack. And work it's way around a wishbone seatstay. I'd also like it if it brought me beer and rubbed my feet!!

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

have a look at my hardtail mtb

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/2nd-patter-of-little-pedals.111777/#post-2050938

these are actually manufactured by giant

Nice, roadrash. Your front fender reminds me of my Kawasaki KLR 650.

The rear is my only issue. I'm going to use rigid forks that have fender mounts. In the rear (of my bike), however, there's nothing. Well, nothing for fenders, anyway. It's an On-One 456 EVO frame. If you look at a pic of one, you'll see what I'm dealing with. I'll be running a set of Freeload racks back there, so they're not exactly in the way. I'll post pics as soon as I get it togther.

Thanks for the help, roadrash. I hope your screen name isn't indicative of something.

I see you're in Wigan. Is that as in The Road to Wigan Pier?

Bodhbh

Guru
On my 456 I used a regular fender ("mudguard" round these parts, but everyone knows what your on about). For the chainstays, I drilled a hole each side of the fender and put a cable tie thru the holes, round each chainstay and tensioned them against each other. It's rock solid, doesn't rattle and looks okay. I was having extra bottle mounts brazed on by a framebuilder anyhow, so had a single mount brazed on at the bottom of that short fat tube that runs to meet the seat stays and attached the fender at the top there.

There's a 101 ways to bodge a mudguard, I seem to have to do it in someway whatever the bike.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Thank you, Bodhbh.

I haven't received my frame yet (ordered 48 hours ago), but I see from pics that there are rack eyelets at the rear dropouts. I may tie into those and then figure something out at the top where the wheel passes through the seatstays. I won't be using the rack attachments up there, so I may fabricate something that I can attach to the frame and hold the fender at that point. Then there's the bottom front of the fender to consider. Maybe a small clamp to attach to my seattube above the front derailleur. (By the way, do you guys call the derailleur a "mech"? For "mechanism"?). Tubus makes a bunch of ingenius little parts from stainless steel to fit just about every need. Good stuff.

I know this isn't rocket science, and I don't want to over-think it, but I do want it to be solid and effective and not look too much like something out of Erskine Caldwell's Tobacco Road. The EVO frame is a good looking thing. I just want to keep on with the tradition.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Thanks, Yellow7! Beautiful stuff, huh? I have a friend with a wood shop and lots of bamboo lying around. He's a high-end cabinet maker. Made me a vanity last year out of bamboo. Precision, gorgeous. I'm sure we can figure something out. I may also try to do something with some recycled plastic. Not sure yet. I may even modify a rear factory-made fender. Whatever I do, I'll post pics.

Yellow7

Über Member
It would be good to see what you come up with Zenroad. I've always got a project on the go!! There's a page on my blog showing a few bits.......presently making a O-spanner for my Rohloff sprocket removal, also incorporating an 8mm allen-key into it - trying to reduce a bit of weight from tools that are hardly used when on tour. I’ve just made a tiny motorised camera rotator for 360' panoramic video shots, something a little different for the next tour blog-post's.
Mark.

Top Bottom