Hope hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Are they any good ? I'm having trouble with one of my training wheels and have suggested the builder just rebuilds it with a new hub rather than trying to fix the old one .

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
i like em. Nice and noisy.

fossala

Guru
Noisy freehubs are a big turn-off for me but some people like them :wacko:

Seems daft that we put lots of effort into making the brakes quiet and getting the chain to run smoothly, then nail on a rusty bucket-o-bolts freehub to spoil it all.......
I enjoy the silence when I'm out cycling.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I find a noisy freehub alerts dog walkers and people walking along with their head in their phone .
That aside , are they any good ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I find a noisy freehub alerts dog walkers and people walking along with their head in their phone .
That aside , are they any good ?
My LBS love them. They are very reliable and very servicable so they last forever. They use cartridge bearings rather than cup & cone which may be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. I've got one built onto my CdF and it's been great.

@Drago what was your issue with them?

Drago

Legendary Member
My LBS love them. They are very reliable and very servicable so they last forever. They use cartridge bearings rather than cup & cone which may be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. I've got one built onto my CdF and it's been great.

@Drago what was your issue with them?

Expensive hope hub, man gauge spokes and mavic rims on my then MTB. Took the rear wheel off to fix a puncture one day and the freewheel portion just fell off the wheel with the cassette attached. Never seen owt like it. The interesting part is that it gave an insight into the hopes construction - it uses little leaf springs on the pawls instead of little coil springs like Shimano, and the strength of the springs probably accounts for the racket.

The front wheel has been fine and is still in use.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Expensive hope hub, man gauge spokes and mavic rims on my then MTB. Took the rear wheel off to fix a puncture one day and the freewheel portion just fell off the wheel with the cassette attached. Never seen owt like it. The interesting part is that it gave an insight into the hopes construction - it uses little leaf springs on the pawls instead of little coil springs like Shimano, and the strength of the springs probably accounts for the racket.

The front wheel has been fine and is still in use.
I'm having a problem with what we can only think is the coil springs not releasing and jamming up the cassette . Every other part has been replaced .
My worry is that it will jam up just enough to send parts into the rear wheel and me sprawling across the floor :eek:

Top Bottom