Hope hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Its what puts me off Hope hubs. I need some new wheels and would like to swap out for hope but my standard Giant hubs are almost silent when freewheeling.

Silent is good.
Rolling along quiet country lanes with just the sound of the birds and rubber on tarmac. It can't be beat.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Expensive hope hub, man gauge spokes and mavic rims on my then MTB. Took the rear wheel off to fix a puncture one day and the freewheel portion just fell off the wheel with the cassette attached. Never seen owt like it. The interesting part is that it gave an insight into the hopes construction - it uses little leaf springs on the pawls instead of little coil springs like Shimano, and the strength of the springs probably accounts for the racket.

The front wheel has been fine and is still in use.
Yikes. I think they've changed the ratchet mechanism in the newer versions although I don't know the details. They're less noisy than they used to be.

If you want a really noisy freehub I think Chris King Angry Bees is the way to go.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hope hubs are only noisy (although not as noisy as they used to be) to remind you to keep pedaling.
A friend pointed out that when tired I would go about 6 revs of the pedal and then freewheel for a moment, then repeat. I was used to the sound and no longer noticed I was doing it, but it was very noticeable to others. A spell riding fixed cured me of that habit.

Top Bottom