Hope Vision 1 negatives.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
magnatom said:
My problem is that I need to swap it between two bikes, one with oversized bars, and one without. That would mean swapping the rubbery bits each time.

Although with the imminent arrivall of my new Ribble on Friday, that will no longer be a problem. :laugh::smile:

That'll be "a Friday" then - other posters seem to suggest that the Ribble Calender is not the time dimension as that used by us mere mortals

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I love mine - I do fine on the bike I don't use much (probably done less than 20 miles on it this year) I can't get it tight enough to stop it moving around - but as I rarely use that, and the potholed road that shakes it around isn't exactly normal it isn't a big deal. If I wanted to fix it ... I could just tape around part of my handlebars on that bike.

On the good bike its easy to put on and off, and now I've got into the habit of recharging at the weekend I don't suffer the fail that I did at first when I wasn't used to them. I don't cycle that much in the dark that once a week is normally OK - and due to the potholes I have it on full along that road.

Are you happier now Jig-sore? I love it (so much so - that I bought a Hope headset to match:biggrin:).

Back on Topic

... I prefer the Exposure to any of the others as not only are the brackets well thought out, but are common between the different models.

Shops - slap on the Joystick, commuting or country roads stick the ENduro ion the same bracket. Even better is the concept that all the lights have the same run times, so no running out because you have the wrong light.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is a Hope only thread............... bugger off..........:smile:;) and they are made in the UK....

Exposures are great, but at about £70, the Hope 1 is brill. Exposure has the advantage of the 'piggy back system' for additional lights/batteries, but the Hope 1 has the AA battery option.....so floats different boats.............:laugh:

potsy

Rambler
summerdays said:
I love mine - I do fine on the bike I don't use much (probably done less than 20 miles on it this year) I can't get it tight enough to stop it moving around - but as I rarely use that, and the potholed road that shakes it around isn't exactly normal it isn't a big deal. If I wanted to fix it ... I could just tape around part of my handlebars on that bike.

On the good bike its easy to put on and off, and now I've got into the habit of recharging at the weekend I don't suffer the fail that I did at first when I wasn't used to them. I don't cycle that much in the dark that once a week is normally OK - and due to the potholes I have it on full along that road.

Are you happier now Jig-sore? I love it (so much so - that I bought a Hope headset to match:biggrin:).
That's what I've done on the hybrid,bit of old inner tube taped up with black electrical tape to look fairly neat,it's now roughly the same width as the road bike so easy to switch them.

Norm

fossyant said:
This is a Hope only thread............... bugger off..........:smile:;) and they are made in the UK....

Exposures are great, but at about £70, the Hope 1 is brill. Exposure has the advantage of the 'piggy back system' for additional lights/batteries, but the Hope 1 has the AA battery option.....so floats different boats.............:laugh:
I agree with all of that, Fossy, although I think that the Exposure lights are also made in the UK.

The Hope lights are cheaper and come with the advantage that you can get new AAs en route, whereas you're kinda hosed if you forget to put the Exposures on charge.

fossyant

Norm said:
I agree with all of that, Fossy, although I think that the Exposure lights are also made in the UK.

The Hope lights are cheaper and come with the advantage that you can get new AAs en route, whereas you're kinda hosed if you forget to put the Exposures on charge.

Cool - they all are very good, and hence we all weigh up what best suits our own needs.............some fit the bill better than others...Ayup. Hope/Exposure.....:laugh:

Anything Cateye is horrendously expensive....in comparison....:smile:

magnatom said:
Did you not see my Quibble with Ribble thread...?

I ignore Ribble threads... Bought a Giro Pneumo helmet and one of the straps cama away first day so returned it. They sent it back saying it was "Fair `wear and Tear" - refused to discuss it any further.

After a firm request for them to fulfil their duties and provide serviceable goods that were fit for purpose, I went to the small claims court and got back both my money and costs.

Never been near them again.

(Best part is that when I wrote to Giro, they stated that the strap was a manufacturing problem and that the helmet should have been replaced (part of the evidence) and sent me a replacement helmet!)

OP
OP
M

Matty

Back on topic, got to grip with the brackets. Still a little fiddly, but acceptable. So Hope 1 negatives is ....... bloody thing stopped working. After commuting through the winter, crap has got into the front and caked the PCB. Despite me trying to clean it up something is knackered and the light won't stay on for more than 30 seconds. (No it's not the batteries!).

Now, you'll probably go on about customer service and I'm sure it will get fixed/replaced but for a r.r.p. of £90 this is average at best. A weather seal is fundamental on such an item.......

Matt

fossyant

They will probably send you a new one.....not had any water ingress issues with mine, and they were on all last summer in the torrential rain we had.

scouserinlondon

leyton condor said:
I don't use my hope 1 for commuting in London as it would be like using a sledge hammer to crack walnuts, for that I use a cateye which is held on with rubber bands due to the excellent quality of their brackets.
The hope vision1 is a bit fiddly to fit so I generally use it for rides where I need to see rather than be seen.
Once it is on though I do not have much problems with it moving around.
You can criticise the bracket but the light is fantastic.

I use mine in London I like to maximise my chances of getting seen, it is a bit of a hammer to crack a walnut but I love it. I feel like I'm MTB'ing properly as I pootle across tooting common in the dark.

scouserinlondon

Matty said:
Back on topic, got to grip with the brackets. Still a little fiddly, but acceptable. So Hope 1 negatives is ....... bloody thing stopped working. After commuting through the winter, crap has got into the front and caked the PCB. Despite me trying to clean it up something is knackered and the light won't stay on for more than 30 seconds. (No it's not the batteries!).

Now, you'll probably go on about customer service and I'm sure it will get fixed/replaced but for a r.r.p. of £90 this is average at best. A weather seal is fundamental on such an item.......

Matt

that's bad news mate. Mine's been okay so you've possibly just got a bad apple but agree for £90 you want it to work.

OP
OP
M

Matty

Update, Hope 1 was fixed (not replaced). No fuss and quick, best change the title to Hope 1 positives!

Good to get a 'light' thread back to page 1 just as the dark goes away!

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
ah yes, but thats when the hopes flash mode comes into use :smile:

so not only have hope made a really good light, we just can't fault thier customer service either. i wish more companies were like this :smile:

Top Bottom