Hope Vision 1 negatives.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matty

After reading many good things about the Hope 1 front light, I took the plunge. First things first, the light output is excellent. Not that fussed about it being machined metal.

Most disappointing bit, bracket is crap. Won't fit snug on bar so moves with every bump. Plus, if you ever get it lined up appropriately (so I can see where I'm going and motorists don't get blinded), when you arrive at work (or equivalent) you have to remove the whole bloody thing as the light screws to the bracket?!

Anyone done a custom bracket for such lights? Any tips?

Thanks,

Matt

Have you got the right rubber bits fitted into the bracket? In the box, they provide thin ones & thick ones, depending upon the width of handlebars.

I'd agree it's a shame they're not like Smart lights which you can slide off the bracket though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sure it vibrates, but what light doesn't? You just have to get lucky that the handlebar is the same size as fits well on your light. It vibrates less than other lights though.

Funk-Meister

marinyork said:
Sure it vibrates, but what light doesn't? You just have to get lucky that the handlebar is the same size as fits well on your light. It vibrates less than other lights though.

You'll be wanting to try the Exposure range....no rattles

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Funk-Meister said:
You'll be wanting to try the Exposure range....no rattles

They rattle too. It's just the roads I use and how large the handlebars are. Like I said one can get lucky. It's which mountings rattle less and the Hope and exposure rattle less than others.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Help! I almost bought one last night after reading reasonable reviews. Are you saying that you can't remove it without a tool if you nip into a shop? Please give me details.

Thanks

Panter

Just call me Chris...
slowmotion said:
Help! I almost bought one last night after reading reasonable reviews. Are you saying that you can't remove it without a tool if you nip into a shop? Please give me details.

Thanks

No, it's on a quick release cam.
It's also supplied with two different size rubber inserts to fit bars of different thicknesses as well as having an adjustable clamp.
The snag is that when you take it off (quick and easy) it needs readjusting to get it to the optimum place.
With a few goes, it's easy to get though.

Quick tip, to adjsut the position, leave the light on the bars but flick the QR up, then rotate the light round to where you want it and then reclamp in position. Simples :tongue:

The bigger snag (for me) is that when the batteries expire, the light just goes out without warning.
Even then though, as the runtimes are so good and it takes AA's, I don't even find that a problem.

My problem is that I need to swap it between two bikes, one with oversized bars, and one without. That would mean swapping the rubbery bits each time.

Although with the imminent arrivall of my new Ribble on Friday, that will no longer be a problem. :tongue::biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
magnatom said:
My problem is that I need to swap it between two bikes, one with oversized bars, and one without. That would mean swapping the rubbery bits each time.

Although with the imminent arrivall of my new Ribble on Friday, that will no longer be a problem. :tongue::biggrin:

no, the cam can be adjusted, quite a lot, by turning it cw / ccw. i have the 4 led version and swap between my brommie and mtb.

you could put some insulation tape wraps around the thinner bar to beef it up

redjedi

Über Member
I got mine on Friday, and used it all night on the ride to Brighton.

I've got oversized bars so used the small rubber pads, and once I had it in position it didn't move once.

If your's is moving make sure you have the right pads on, then tighening it a little.

It may also have helped that I had mine hanging under the bars.

And the bracket isn't that hard to use. Not as easy as just clipping it on, but I like the fact that it will never shake loose and fall off.

OP
OP
M

Matty

Flying Dodo said:
Have you got the right rubber bits fitted into the bracket? In the box, they provide thin ones & thick ones, depending upon the width of handlebars.

I'd agree it's a shame they're not like Smart lights which you can slide off the bracket though.

Yep, got the correct ones on.

OP
OP
M

Matty

magnatom said:

Although with the imminent arrivall of my new Ribble on Friday, that will no longer be a problem. :laugh::cry:

Me too.

OP
OP
M

Matty

There isn't enough adjustment in the cam. If I screw in enough to make tight the rear of the thread fouls and the cam won't close into position.

I think I'm going to go custom, not sure how yet though...............

Top Bottom