Hope Vision 1 negatives.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Matty, have you contacted hope to tell them you are having problems?

They are one of the best companies ever for dealing with user problems.

i don't think you can write off the Hope Vision1 on the basis of one users bad experience, its a cracking good light, and worth every penny ime.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Panter said:
The bigger snag (for me) is that when the batteries expire, the light just goes out without warning.
Even then though, as the runtimes are so good and it takes AA's, I don't even find that a problem.

Top Tip:
Get one of these and add a bit of spare bar tape to the non-contacts end.
(4AA Battery Box HF29G)

When riding, you can simply swap the whole "cartridge" of batteries when one lot runs out.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Matty said:
There isn't enough adjustment in the cam. If I screw in enough to make tight the rear of the thread fouls and the cam won't close into position.

I think I'm going to go custom, not sure how yet though...............

I know what you mean now, I have to swap mine between 3 different bikes and the fit on the roadbike is like that.
I just use the thin rubber inserts and make up the difference with a piece of old innertube. Works a treat ;)

Landslide said:
Top Tip:
Get one of these and add a bit of spare bar tape to the non-contacts end.
(4AA Battery Box HF29G)

When riding, you can simply swap the whole "cartridge" of batteries when one lot runs out.

Cool, thanks for that. Are they definately the right ones though? Someone on BR suggested buying battery boxes elsewhere so I ordered four of them and they don't work. The connection on the end is like the one that a 9v cell clips onto if you know what I mean, it looks like the one in the Maplins picture.
Also, they were too wide to fit into the light body with my Vapex batteries fitted, I had to cut the holding lugs off so that they would go in and then, as above, there was no connection.

Brahan

Über Member
Stick it on your helmet. I have recently bought an Exposure Diablo and having it stuck on my head is brilliant, never done it before now, but it's going to stay up there. It's prefect for directing into driver's eye line as they're approching the junction you're rattling toeards at speed. There's something very reassuring about being in control of the beam. Try it. :biggrin:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Panter said:
Cool, thanks for that. Are they definately the right ones though? Someone on BR suggested buying battery boxes elsewhere so I ordered four of them and they don't work. The connection on the end is like the one that a 9v cell clips onto if you know what I mean, it looks like the one in the Maplins picture.
Also, they were too wide to fit into the light body with my Vapex batteries fitted, I had to cut the holding lugs off so that they would go in and then, as above, there was no connection.

Yeah, I got the tip from elsewhere too, and whilst the box does have prongs for a pp3/pp9 (?) battery, apparently it does still work. I'm gonna track one down anyway, so if my 79p goes down the drain, I'll let you know!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Panter said:
No, it's on a quick release cam.
It's also supplied with two different size rubber inserts to fit bars of different thicknesses as well as having an adjustable clamp.
The snag is that when you take it off (quick and easy) it needs readjusting to get it to the optimum place.
With a few goes, it's easy to get though.

Quick tip, to adjsut the position, leave the light on the bars but flick the QR up, then rotate the light round to where you want it and then reclamp in position. Simples :biggrin:

Thank-you very much for that.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
slowmotion said:
Thank-you very much for that.

Take about 3 seconds to remove. Takes longer than that to fit sometimes because of what other people said. If you fit it to another bike with radically different bars it might take a couple of minutes.

potsy

Rambler
I too have just bought one of these,was a bit concerned at first about swapping between bikes but like already said just need to put a bit of rubber/packing on the thinner bar, then only small adjustment of the bracket needed each time.
1st time I used it felt it was a bit rattly,but don't think it was tight enough,couple of turns of the qr and all was well,good fit now no rattles.
As for the batteries cutting out-use mine for 9 commutes(friday early finish so see daylight:smile:) on 2nd power level and lasts the week no problem.Batteries charged at weekend.Easy.

OP
OP
M

Matty

Steve Austin said:
Matty, have you contacted hope to tell them you are having problems?

They are one of the best companies ever for dealing with user problems.

i don't think you can write off the Hope Vision1 on the basis of one users bad experience, its a cracking good light, and worth every penny ime.

I'm not writing if off. I just think that some more engineering effort should have gone into the bracket for a rrp of £90.

From my limited knowledge of physics, I'm not convinced the light is held in the correct place, as in, should be centre near centre of gravity maybe.....This would reduce movement.

Norm

I agree with that one but the bracket on the Exposure Enduro is right at the front of the light and that is as solid as anything.

I've a friend who got the Hope Vision on the strength of the good reviews from this place. I haven't seen him in a few weeks but he seemed happy with it.

JsfWitney

I've just started using a Vision 1 too. This morning it started moving from side to side - I had to stop and tighten the allen screw. I can't really disagree with the comments about the clamp, but it's such a good light I'm prepared to work on it a bit. I've replaced a Light & Motion Solo MV with a better light and a much lower price!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Landslide said:
Yeah, I got the tip from elsewhere too, and whilst the box does have prongs for a pp3/pp9 (?) battery, apparently it does still work. I'm gonna track one down anyway, so if my 79p goes down the drain, I'll let you know!

I can confirm that the box does indeed work. :laugh:
On the downside, it was 89p. :sad:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Landslide said:
I can confirm that the box does indeed work. :biggrin:
On the downside, it was 89p. :laugh:

Ok, thanks for that. Sorry, I missed your original reply.
It definately doesn't work with mine, I might try it with "normal" AA's. The Vapex ones I use are thicker than standard batteries so maybe the battery box isn't going in far enough.
I'll try harder :biggrin:

Or will do when I get back anyway, just off out for a blast round the viciously muddy woods using the Hope's :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't have an issue with mine. I use the thicker pads on an oversize bar and a standard size. With the oversize, because I have two Hope 1's, I fit them where the bar tape ends, just as the bar flares to the oversize dimensions.

I regularly remove mine...yeh not as easy as a cateye etc, but the brackets are good quality, and I nip them up tight so little vibration (Brake cable runs inside bracket at this point, but as the pad it thick, it's fine).

Initially the bracket did disappoint, but I'm now used to it, and you know the thing won't come off, unlike a cateye. You'll soon be taking it off and refitting pretty quickly.

Battery wise, I'm using Panasonic Infiniums - only 2100 mah - but hybrids so great standby charge holding, and I'm getting excellent run times, no 'power off's' yet.

I have three sets of batteries which I use in rotation. I usually charge using a smart charger every 3/4 days - just in case.

patheticshark

It's a really good light. The sudden battery dying thing is something you need to be prepared for... but at least it takes AAs which is a major plus point. Once you've got it fitted right for your bars it should be fine, it takes seconds to remove; I prefer removing the whole thing to having an ugly bracket stuck on your bike even when you don't need it.

Top Bottom