Hope Vision 1 negatives.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leyton condor

Veteran
I don't use my hope 1 for commuting in London as it would be like using a sledge hammer to crack walnuts, for that I use a cateye which is held on with rubber bands due to the excellent quality of their brackets.
The hope vision1 is a bit fiddly to fit so I generally use it for rides where I need to see rather than be seen.
Once it is on though I do not have much problems with it moving around.
You can criticise the bracket but the light is fantastic.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll notice if the light dies - i.e....whoah it's all gone dark......, but I'd always recommend using with a backup anyway. I believe if you switch them back on in flashing mode, they will carry on for a while.

A good backup is the Knog Toad....pretty impressed with mine - nice and bright (not in Hope league....).

chap

Veteran
It is a shame that something with so much promise, falls sort due to a few easily preventable glitches. I was very keen on buying this bike for the Brompton - especially since it is a British firm, but with the lack of battery indicator, the manner in which the light cuts out, the narrow beam, and now the poor fittings, I will have to buy German instead (IXUS IQ).

Norm

chap said:
I will have to buy German instead (IXUS IQ).
No, Chap, don't do it. You can still Buy British! :biggrin:

Out in the dark again this evening, man I love having the Joystick and RedEye Micro on a headstrap. Phenomenal, I only need the main light on minimum brightness. :biggrin: are required. :biggrin:

moon_monkey

Landslide said:
I can confirm that the box does indeed work. :biggrin:
On the downside, it was 89p. :wacko:

+1

I put a bit of insulating tape and some 2mm padding over the end away from the contacts as it rattled around in there a bit at first.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i've just found this topic and to be honest it's annoyed me a little bit. the hope vision one is a great light and one of the best lights you can get in that price range

i created this video in response to the comments that the mounting bracket on the light is poor quality and would not clamp tight. also the comment was made that you had to remove the whole bracket when leaving the bike unattended.

well, here you can see how easy it is to un-clip and re-clip the light. also how easy it is to adjust the light bracket to different size bars (remember im working mostly one handed and filming), it takes me just 2 minutes to change from handle bar to thin chain-stay and back, and seconds to remove and re-fit the light on the handle bars

i've also included photos of the light power settings.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OBiDkM7kdI

this is a great light, do not be put off by this topic ;)

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
the whole bike is waiting for a good clean and service to be honest, it's shocking how grubby it's got over the winter. ;):blush:

potsy

Rambler
gaz said:
your chain needs a clean ;)

I love the bracket, much better than any of the cateye one's
Me too,when I first heard about these I thought it sounded a bit of a faff tbh but it's much easier/quicker to adjust than I realised.Plus must faster to swap between bikes too.Great little light which I will use all year round.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've never had a problem with the bracket since I bought mine. I don't do off-road stuff, ( just potholes) so maybe mine doesn't get subjected to as much vibration as other peoples'.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
potsy said:
it's much easier/quicker to adjust than I realised.Plus must faster to swap between bikes too.

and that's the main reason for the video clip. nobody puts a front light on their chain-stay but it proves how quick it can be adjusted.

i thought i was going to have to spend £150 plus to get a good quality light that would really be usable on unlit roads, but the hope vision 1 has proved that to be very wrong.

the battery issues can be easily avoided with just a little bit of "battery management"

can't fault this light and will back it all the way ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got two Hope 1's and they are the dogs danglies.....

The brackets are fine, very tough. Easy to switch bikes.

I like the fact they are AA's so no expensive light specific battery pack should the batteries fail.....

Jig-sore.....most people who have the Hopes like them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a great light with with a very good easy to use/adjust bracket. Fit's very well on any sized bars if you use the rubber inserts as and when needed.

Top Bottom